Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Timeless Blue And White Treasures


Ever since setting eyes on my grandma's blue and white English Staffordshire Ware, I have been a lover of this popular dinnerware.
The majority of the pieces I own, have been painstakingly wrapped and shipped over from England, a treasure to cherish from my parents.
I add to the collection whenever a piece catches my eye, although in the past few years, the prices seem to have sky rocketed.

One of the most popular lines was manufactured by Wood and Sons a classic BLUE & WHITE pattern of English Scenery in which the central landscape designs differ from plate to plate.

The firm of Wood & Sons was founded in 1865 by Absalom Wood (a descendant of the 18th century English potter Moses Wood) as Wood, Son & Co, in Burslem, Staffordshire. Thomas Wood, his son, founded the present firm around 1910, and it remained in the Wood family until 1981, when it went into receivership and was acquired by the Yorke family. The firm finally ceased to exist in 2006.
The Woods lineage also extends back to the famous 18thC Staffordshire potters Enoch and Ralph Woods, whose names and dates are given on many Woods marks.

12 comments:

L. D. said...

It is such a beautiful pattern. You cherish the pieces and I bet have great joy when you find one out there to match.

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Just beautiful Jo and the color is so magnificent.
It is always a shame to hear about a family company being lost to time. But they left behind a wonderful legacy! Thanks for sharing your love of this china...
Tina xo

Barbara Anne said...

My recent love is blue and white Woods china and I wish I had the room to have more. It is indeed timeless and lovely. I'm so happy that you have pieces that connect you to your loved ones.

Hugs!

shirley said...

Your blue and white china is beautiful. They are a real family tresure

Patsy said...

I love the blue and it is a lovely pattern.
Patsy

MadSnapper said...

truly lovely. I love old things as I have said before. so much prettier than the new things. England has so many wonderful old things, so many more than we do here. Hubbby and I have spent many happy hours watching Cash in the Attic on BBC America. we love that show and they have all these wonderful things like your dishes.

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Oh Jo these pieces are just gorgeous. How lucky are you to recieve such a wonderful gift from your parents and to arrive all the way from England safe and sound. at least I hope they all arrived in one piece. These patterns are timless works of art. I bought my Woods & Son's from Sears catalog around 1980 and nearly sold them when we moved from the Victorian here to the farm last year. I'm glad I didn't! Thanks for showing us your beautiful treasures. Have a wonderful day....Maura :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

I love the blue and white..it is so pure looking. Do you use it? I have so many "good" dishes that I rarely use..and I should really use some of them every day:)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how gorgeous, Jo. I know that those pieces are VERY special to you.. Hope you have some family members to pass them onto someday. Those beautiful pieces need to stay in your family.

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Deb said...

Those are lovely. I hope you have a beautiful place to display them.

The Retired One said...

These are gorgeous....I collect various different patterns of blue and white for my cottage/guest house, but none are these beautiful.

Kelly said...

I would love to find some of this dinnerware in America. Do you happen to know where I can purchase any of this? Plus, I love your blog.