Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Little Home


The Little Home

The little house is not too small
To shelter friends who come to call.
Though low the roof and small its space
It holds the Lord's abounding grace,
And every simple room may be
Endowed with happy memory.

The little house, severely plain,
A wealth of beauty may contain.
Within it those who dwell may find
High faith which makes for peace of mind,
And that sweet understanding which
Can make the poorest cottage rich.

The little house can hold all things
From which the soul's contentment springs.
'Tis not too small for love to grow,
For all the joys that mortals know,
For mirth and song and that delight
Which make the humblest dwelling bright.

~Edgar A Guest

12 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful poem and picture. Love that roof!!!!!

It reminded me of the house where I was raised. At one time, as a little girl, I thought it was a BIG house... BUT--it wasn't... I loved it though and it will always be "MY" house!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Barbara Anne said...

Jo,

You do find the most charming photos and uplifting verses! How I would love to peek inside this delightful house ... no, I'd want to see every nook and cranny!

Ta!

Hugs!

The Tablescaper said...

Such beautiful sentiments.

Is that really your home?

- The Tablescaper

MadSnapper said...

what a beautiful home. is it yours? is it a neighbors? lovely lovely lovely

Patsy said...

Sweet! that makes me think of a lovely dreams.

Marilyn said...

I have a little home, but it doesn't look anything like that gorgeous thing!!! but it is a home, filled with all that it needs.....!!!

Stella Jones said...

That's a very cosy looking cottage and a pretty nice poem to go with it too. Wouldn't we all like to live somewhere like that? Just so long as we don't mind spiders or damp walls or cramped rooms. Still, I have some of those in my own house at the moment. T'is the spider season just beginning but at least none of them are poisonous over here.
Thank you for your lovely post.
Blessings, Star

Stella Jones said...

Bother, I wrote a whole tarradiddle and Blogger gobbled it up! Just wanted to say, I love the cottage and the poem. Now, let's try again to post the comment.
Blessings, Star

Country Gal said...

A sweet little English Cottage! The poem was wonderful. I enjoy your blog.

Elettra said...

may well be the house of my dreams

L. D. said...

Thatched roof houses have a wonderful charm. I really like the writing.

jerilanders said...

Thatched roofs, the things dreams are made of. I once inquired the cost of having one put on our house but the price would make an emperor blush! So we settled on scalloped chocolate brown tiles, a nice alternative, but I still dream of that thatched cottage.