Saturday, July 10, 2010

Places Of The Heart


There is a special place I like to visit, just a few miles down the road, nestled in the loveliest of Tennessee countryside.

Regular readers have been introduced to my passion in previous posts, it's an old Antebellum and historical home, working farm, bed and breakfast, cottage industry crafts, and luncheon tea room.
The quote directly from the 'farm's' website...epitomizes the experience.
'The rolling hills and a winding country road along stone fences lead to an antebellum gem.Leave your worries behind and follow your heart to a very special place in the country.From the moment you walk onto the impressive veranda, you will feel the gracious southern hospitality'

Very recently my work schedule has changed, no more working Saturday's. One thing I have looked forward to doing, is spending the day at my favorite farm.

Sadly, I received an e-mail from Emily the proprietor, telling me they had suffered a fire in the main house. After a busy day of guests and in the middle of the night, she awoke to the sounds of breaking glass.
Together with her husband, they fought the blaze with nothing more than water hoses.

The damage was confined mostly to the gift shop, caused by a lamp that snaps directly onto a shelf.
Melted wiring, paintwork, inventory, historic glass panes in the front door, but luckily all repairable, and the main reason to be grateful, no one was injured.

Emily tells me it didn't damage the kitchen, and so if I'm up for it, we can still eat on the veranda.
Sounds perfect to me !

13 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh ---that is sad, Jo. I'm glad the fire wasn't worse than it was. I'm sure they'll fix it all back --in the same style. I love that old antebellum house..

Glad you don't have to work on Saturdays anymore. You will enjoy having weekends off.... Maybe --once they get everything fixed, you all can spend a night or two at Watermelon Moon Farm...

Hugs,
Betsy
P.S. We finally got some rain today. YEAH!!!

Sunny said...

Sounds like a wonderful place. Hopefully they can get it repaired in short order. These kinds of things are so sad. We lost our whole house in 1979. Not a fun thing

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Oh Jo what a shame! Thank heavens no one was hurt and that they were able to contain the fire. It sounds like a wonderful place to visit and I will look up that web site. I hope it's somewhere close to Pigeon Forge...if so we may just have to look it up this fall! Have a wonderful weekend...Maura:)

matron said...

Thank goodness your friends were woken before the fire took hold.I am glad they were not harmed,but how frightening for them.I hope they manage to get up and running again soon as it sounds a wonderful place.

diane b said...

It sounds a great place for a weekend. Bad news about the fire. I hope they can repair it soon. I have enjoyed browsing through your blog.

MadSnapper said...

it is very beautiful and such a romantic name. wish I could see it. what a wonderful place to visit or spend the night.

Jill of All Trades said...

Oh no. What a beautiful place!

Barbara Anne said...

What a lovely B&B +. I'm sad about the fire but am grateful it was no worse, that the owners were able to put it out with just their water hoses, and that no one was hurt. I wish them well as they make repairs.

We have rain!!!! Thanks to all who joined me in that rain dance and thanks be to God! Hope you have rain, too, if you need it.

Hugs!

Patsy said...

What a great trip that would make, hope they get the shoppe fixed soon.
Patsy

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What an enchanting place!! I'm so glad that no one was hurt and that the damage isn't extensive!! Places like this are the true gems of the south, and it's wonderful that you're able to visit and enjoy time in such a beautiful place!

DeniseinVA said...

What a terrible shame about the fire but thankful that it wasn't worse, though bad enough. They sound lovely people and I wish them the very best.

Thanks for dropping by and wishing me a happy birthday the other day. I appreciated it very much.
An English Girl Rambles

Carol said...

It's only about an hour from us and I was planning on taking the kids there for a visit. Is it closed for repairs or still open?

Mage said...

...or you can go volunteer and help her put things back together again...