Monday, July 26, 2010

Returning Visitors

Moma deer and baby returned today. The fawn is getting bigger, although still sporting it's spots until the first Winter.
Mom hides her baby in the field of tall grasses and wildflowers, and only gives us a glimpse here and there.

click to enlarge
Two of my favorite summertime wildflowers are back, the Joe-Pye Weed, and the Black-Eyed Susan.
Each year the field is brimming with yellow and purple flowers as far as the eye can see.


The Joe-Pye Weed, Eupatorium purpureum, is an amazing plant that is an herb, a wildflower, a butterfly plant and an ornamental for the flower bed.

It obtained its name after a Native American herbalist, named Joe-Pye, cured fevers using the Eupatorium plant. Though we tend to think of it as a wildflower in the U.S., it's long been an ornamental plant in England where our cottage gardens are so popular.

Black-Eyed Susan Rudbeckia hirta (Asteraceae)
The Black-Eyed Susan is probably the most common of all American wildflowers. The characteristic brown, domed center is surrounded by bright yellow ray florets. The plant thrives in most soils in full sun.
A true sunshine worshiper that forgives neglect.
I always think it is a 'happy' looking little plant.

18 comments:

cilla said...

so pretty,
i love your photos,im also from Tennessee, the weather has been so warm,stop by my blog sometime would love too have you ..have a great week.cilla

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful flowers, Jo, and I love the deer.... Your yard is so gorgeous.... Bet you have to water it alot this summer--like we do... It's been SO hot and dry here.

Great pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy

Winifred said...

Those deer a so lovely. Must be wonderful having Bambi & his Mam living so near.

Sciarada said...

Beautiful flowers, I too would like your visitors

MadSnapper said...

you live in a most wondrous garden and then add momma and baby and nothing on earth could be better

DJan said...

Last year we saw two fawns but so far none this year, although a three-point buck has been coming by. Love your flowers, and I agree, that yellow floral sunshine is perfect.

From the Old InkWell said...

What a tranquil scene is your first pic! Oh how fortunate you are to sneak glimpses of the deer and her fawn! Have a good week, my Tennessee neighbor. :)

Carol Murdock said...

Love the deer Jo! I need to add Joe Pye to my garden! I used to grow it in Tennessee. XOXO

George said...

Your garden looks absolutely beautiful. I love the flowers and I also like the picture of the deer. I only hope they don't munch on too many of your flowers!

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hello Jo! What a beautiful photo of the doe and her fawn...you'll miss seeing the little one as it grows up. I love both plants but so far have never grown either. Hopefully one day I'll have a few of both here on the farm to enjoy. I agree the Black Eyed Susan's are 'happy' plants. I hope you have a wonderful day....Maura :)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I never grow tired of seeing the deer and the fawns are really a special treat too!

THANK YOU for posting a picture of Joe-Pye Weed. We have it growing on our property and I had no idea what it was. My husband wanted to cut it down, but I wouldn't let him because it always has butterflies on it, and I enjoy seeing them so much!

Patsy said...

Special!
Patsy

Jill of All Trades said...

Great photos. Love Joe-Pye Weed.

Stella Jones said...

I love the black-eyed susan very much. I planted some seeds of it in my American garden, not realising it was considered a weed over there! Isn't it amazing how many faux pas we can make when we live in a different country. Now I am giggling at my misdemeanour but it doesn't deflect from my joy at watching the flowers growing.
Blessings, Star

Barbara Anne said...

What a tranquil scene of your lovely yard and your two shy visitors. I've seen only two does this year but no fawns. I miss them.

Our black-eyed Susans are blooming like crazy and they are so cheerful!

Hugs!

Sheila said...

I've found your blog again. The photos are beautiful but as lovely. Your birdhouses in a previous post are delightful!

shirley said...

You have an amazing garden no wonder the deer like to visit. They are so beautiful do they let you pat them or are they wild like our wallabies.

Your garden looks so green and the flowers are lovely.

Barbara said...

I wonder if the deer wreck your garden.
Can see how the cooling winter scenes could be good on a veryhot day. Vice versa too!!
Love the fun birdhouses.