Friday, July 23, 2010

Thoughts Of Home


The Manor Farm

The rock-like mud unfroze a little and rills
Ran and sparkled down each side of the road
Under the catkins wagging in the hedge.
But earth would have her sleep out, spite of the sun;
Nor did I value that thin glilding beam
More than a pretty February thing
Till I came down to the old Manor Farm,
And church and yew-tree opposite, in age
Its equals and in size. The church and yew
And farmhouse slept in a Sunday silentness.
The air raised not a straw. The steep farm roof,
With tiles duskily glowing, entertained
The mid-day sun; and up and down the roof
White pigeons nestled. There was no sound but one.
Three cart-horses were looking over a gate
Drowsily through their forelocks, swishing their tails
Against a fly, a solitary fly.
The Winter's cheek flushed as if he had drained
Spring, Summer, and Autumn at a draught
And smiled quietly. But 'twas not Winter—
Rather a season of bliss unchangeable
Awakened from farm and church where it had lain
Safe under tile and thatch for ages since
This England, Old already, was called Merry.

~ Edward Thomas 1878-1917

11 comments:

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hello Jo, that was beautiful...you find the most wonderful poems etc. I hope you get to go home soon to see loved ones and old friends. I know what it's like to live so far away from family. I hope you have a wonderful Friday....Maura :)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

At the end of the day, what a wonderful place to think of being! I hope your week ends on a good note Jo!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh---wouldn't that be neat??? I'd love to go home to that place.... Love your picture---and the flowers.... AND the poem is wonderful also....

We finally got an inch of rain today.... YEAH!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

karen said...

Lovely poem and what a beautiful home. I just love how the flowers mingle with the fence...softening it and giving it color. English cottage gardens are my favorite. I so enjoy popping in here....you share the loveliest images. Thank you.

shirley said...

I just love all your poems, and this manor house would be a beautiful home to live in ..such character.

Midwest to Midlands said...

Hi Jo, lovely picture and poem as you have every time. Any plans to visit the Merry Old Country in the future? It is not as hot as your neck of the woods and we got some much needed rain yesterday.
Your peach cobbler looks delish!

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Oh Jo, my heart was so touched by that poem and photo. I a not even from England and I am homesick for it now.
I would love to go there someday, I just know that for some strange reason I would feel so at home walking those sweet old streets in those peaceful lovely villages. You are lucky to have been born there and had the opportunity to experience what I can only dream of!
Have a great Friday Jo....
Tina xo

Barbara Anne said...

Oh, to come home to that house and garden!

What lovely and richly descriptive word pictures that poem creates! You do find the best poems and pictures.

Is it time for you to place a call to someone back home?

Hugs!

Susan Freeman said...

Hi Jo! Lovely poem. I wonder, do you miss home? Every time I have been to visit England, I feel very much at home. It's as though I have lived there all of my life. No other place has the same feeling for me, except the sweet village I grew up in here in the states.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Patsy said...

I would love to live on a farm like that.

George said...

What a beautiful painting and a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing this with us.