Monday, June 15, 2009

Need a Wee Car ?

As I was out and about this weekend, I came across this little fella sitting next to my Ford Expedition in the parking lot. It was barely longer than the hood, I do believe I could have carried it inside my cargo area, and to say I was on a guilt trip for driving a gas guzzler, was an understatement.



It is in fact the Smart ForTwo just 106 inches long, more than 3 feet shorter than a Mini Cooper. Park it perpendicular to a Ford Expedition, and its rear end extends just 14.3 inches beyond the Expedition’s side mirrors.
In a world of super sized value meals, this one’s a small fry.

Under the auspices of DaimlerChrysler and car dealership mogul Roger Penske, Smart has been available in the US market since 2008.

To show the Smart off at this year’s Detroit auto show, the company simply parallel parked a ForTwo — again and again — between two closely spaced limousines.




Powered by a 71-hp, 1.0-liter three-cylinder, the ForTwo starts at less than $15,000. It should get around 40 mpg in combined city and highway driving on regular gasoline, but it can only go 90 mph. There is also a bevy of standard safety features, including four airbags, anti lock brakes and an electronic stability system.

Hmm takers anyone ?

Photo credit: Info credit: Cars.com

10 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

GADS---NO!!!!! We have a comfy Prius which gets about 50-55 mpg... Think I'll keep that!!!! Not many people in this country will buy something like the Smart Car. I don't think people will buy ANY American made cars, no matter what! The reason the American car business is in trouble is that they don't make cars that Americans want.

Just my humble opinion!!
Hugs,
Betsy

The Retired One said...

I think that $15,000 is still too much for that car.
That is part of the problem...new cars are WAY too high for the average American to afford, so they are not selling.

Stella Jones said...

No, that one is too small, even for me. I do think the American car industry has been behind the times for many years though. In England, it is common to have a car that does 50-55 mpg, as you know. I am very much in favour of just having what you need. However, my husband won't part with his 350Z for anything, YET!
Blessings, Star

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

NO THANK YOU! I would not be caught dead in that thing, I would have a panic attack riding in something that microscopic. I think a tire off a semi weighs more than thing. I like my vehicles big (meaning sedan or larger and I love my Suburban for interstate traveling!) and I guarantee you the insurance on those things will be HORRIBLE...and they ought to be. It's like riding in a tin can.
XOXO
Joni

Patsy said...

If you remember Frank ? His son has one and his wife loves it she zips around down town Memphis. When they frist got it a police officer stopped her and ask if it was street legal.
Patsy

DJan said...

All those comments about not liking it and I just love it! If it were not so expensive, I would have one just because it's so darn cool. I am happy with my Honda Civic, though, that gets 40 mpg without trying.

cheshire wife said...

There are quite a lot of that car around in the UK but I would not have one the grounds of safety.

Jean said...

Good morning..apparently these folks dont haul stuff around like I do. I have a van...and I guess always a van. Use it for work and for personal use. So handy!
Love your blog and the beautiful music!

Winifred said...

It's been around for quite a few years now in the UK but it's still not that popular. People who want small cars prefer minis, Clios or Micras.

Personally I don't like big cars or 4x4s they are just not suitable for the UK roads and traffic never mind the damage to the environment.

I'll stick to a mid sized car on the grounds of safety!

George said...

I'm not sure I'm ready for a car that small (and I'm not sure I could fit into a car that small!). I think I'll just stick with our trusty Prius.