Sunday, June 7, 2009

Down the Rabbit Hole....

"Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were-Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail, and Peter. They lived with their mother in a sand-bank, underneath the root of a very big tree"
~ The Tale of Peter Rabbit, 1902





Ever since I was a young girl, I have shared a common love with that of the famed English children's author Beatrix Potter.
The love of rabbits.
At one point in time, the count I owned was numbered in the teens.

There is something about rabbits that appeals to my personality. As with Miss Potter, I used to talk to mine, endlessly. Almost all of my spare time was spent either taking care of them, or working to earn pocket-money in order to buy their rabbit food.
They were faithful companion pets.

Several years ago my grandchildren and I were spending a Saturday at one of the local Oktoberfest arts and crafts festivals. Upon leaving at the end of the day, we had acquired another family member.....a rabbit.

His name is "Snuggles" and this October he will be twelve years old !
A sweet little boy, who lives up to his namesake extremely well, he loves nothing more than to give kisses.

I do believe Miss Potter would have written a book about him.

14 comments:

Patsy said...

There is something magic about rabbits.
How is the First Sergeant feeling today?
Patsy

Sharon Rose said...

I LOVE Miss Potter's work!!!!! And I have a rabbit in my neighborhood, just like Peter Rabbit! That little cutie can't resist my flowerbed! I can't resist his visits, so I haven't done anything about him....just let him come over for a snack anytime. . . .
Thanks for the memory. Miss Potter would have written a wonderful story about "snuggles"!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Patsy: Thank you for asking, The 1SGT is still sickly, and so a ttrip to the DR. is still on schedule.

Pastor Sharon:
You may enjoy this posting... :)

http://abritintn.blogspot.com/2009/02/world-of-beatrix-potter.html

donna baker said...

Jo, does he live in a hutch? Does he get to hop around outside? I once had some caged bunnies that I let out finally at the barn. They would stand against my leg to get my attention and sometimes I'd see them round a corner with a thatch of hay in their mouth. They were so sweet.

Dracenea said...

What a cute addition to the family!

Ran across your blog tonight. I also am a tea and bunny lover. :)

Unknown said...

Love your new family addition! Also love Miss Potter's illustrations and stories.

George said...

It looks as if Snuggles is a perfect name for your rabbit. How long do rabbits live?

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Donna: Yes he lives in a huge hutch!
I'm afraid we can't let him run around too many cats would like to be mean to him ;(

Dracenea: Thanks for visiting, I will do likewise on your blog...

Gaston Studio; She was a very talented and caring lady, Beatrix Potter, I admire her greatly.

George: I believe they can live in their early teens :)

Anonymous said...

Peter was a favorite of my children and now my grand children! We have dozens of bunnies all over our wooded property and share our baby lettuces and seedlings with them every spring. (=

Winifred said...

Snuggles is lovely.

We've had quite a few rabbits over the years and one used to chase the cat! My daughter has a miniature called Lucy but she isn't as sweet as her name. She used to be very friendly but then developed a bit of a nasty streak. Maybe she's lonely.

Deanna Bland Hiott PhD, MSN, RN said...

I love Peter Rabbit! Beatrice Potter created such sweet memories for us all. I had a rabbit growing up and now my Baby Girl wants one...we'll see...

Deanna said...

Hope you're feeling better.
Your Bunny is precious.
We stopped off at a Farm Supply Shop just a few days ago and they had bunnies for sale.
Each one a different color...so pretty.
They were sweet and gentle.
I was very tempted to take one home.
I will have to study up on how to take care of them.
Blessings,
~Deanna~

Andrea said...

Oh, how I love Beatrix Potter!!! I want to buy a collection of her books to share with my little grandchildren when they visit me.

I did manage to recently check out a couple of videos from the library, and they were beautifully done. So, I shared them with my 2 year old granddaughter, who ended up loving Jemima Puddle Duck and Peter Rabbit.

When my younger son was 10, he had a rabbit. He named her Flower, and she was his life for a while. Sadly, we had to move far away, so we gave her up to another loving family. But Chris, who is now 28, still remembers her with such fondness. I love it, for he'll be able to share her story wtih his 2 little ones.

Take care, Jo. Lovely post!

God bless.

Andrea

DeniseinVA said...

I'm a big Beatrix Potter fan and when I was young we had lots of rabbits for pets. Always loved those little bunnies and still do.