Monday, September 12, 2011

Shine On Harvest Moon

It is the Harvest Moon! On gilded vanes
And roofs of villages, on woodland crests
And their aerial neighborhoods of nests
Deserted, on the curtained window-panes
Of rooms where children sleep, on country lanes
And harvest-fields, its mystic splendor rests!
Gone are the birds that were our summer guests,
With the last sheaves return the laboring wains!
All things are symbols: the external shows
Of Nature have their image in the mind,
As flowers and fruits and falling of the leaves;
The song-birds leave us at the summer's close,
Only the empty nests are left behind,
And pipings of the quail among the sheaves.

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

12 comments:

Sharon said...

Gorgeous picture there, Jo!

myomyohi said...

Love it!

We have had several red sunsets lately but I never seem to be in a good place to take a pic.

Unknown said...

It seems to get bigger every evening as it rises over Sand Mountain. Gorgeous, isn't it? I love autumn!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Your moon is beautiful and words too!
xoxo
tweedles

Terry said...

Our moon is pretty, but my photo of it was not. Love yours.

Susan Freeman said...

So beautiful ~ I love a harvest moon!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

MadSnapper said...

this would be great with ghosties and goblins for the end of oct

Louise said...

That picture is magazine perfect. Have you ever tried to sell any of your pictures?

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

It has been a long time since I read this verse, and your picture could not be more perfect for it!

I hope you & Oliver are doing well, and enjoying the cool evenings!

Vickie said...

Beautiful moon photo. I'm so ready for fall with our STILL 100+ temps. I usually hate to see summer go... I shall relish the autumn season this year!

Vickie said...

Oh, I must add - last night I watched "Bright Star", a movie about the short life of Keats, and the love that he had before he died. It's given me great interest in reading more of his work. I know that you quote him often. I'm off to investigate Keats further!

Bernideen said...

Love those poetic thoughts!