Monday, December 17, 2012

What The Dickens ?



Several years ago, our small town, was graced by a visit from Gerald Charles Dickens, great-great grandson of the author 'A Christmas Carol '.

It was the highlight of the town's Victorian Christmas Festival, a seventy -five minute on stage performance and one-man show of a descendant of the beloved author Charles Dickens.

Gerald Dickens performed the dramatization with just a chair, a hat stand, a candle, his top hat, and a walking stick for props. The rest of the show was brought to life with his voice, facial expression, mannerisms, and energy.
Since the story is so well known, Dickens said he didn't have to worry too much about explaining the plot.

Everyone loved the story, and a closeness and camaraderie developed in the audience as we watched a talented storyteller enact his great-great grandfather's story with love and passion.
Fortunately for me, the audience struggled to understand the actor's Cockney accent. It created dead silence voids, where an appropriate applauding should have followed a punch line.
Mr. Dickens had been making note of this, and asked if I would accompany him on stage and help the audience participation, with a few prompting gestures.
*Gulp*
Would I accompany him on stage ?

Needless to say it was the best Christmas gift I could have received, and dare say, everyone in this town, is still talking about it to this very day.......
I know I am
*Wink*.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."
A Christmas Carol ~Charles Dickens, Ebeneezer Scrooge,



"To Josephine
 my Warrington friend".

~ Gerald Charles Dickens.

15 comments:

Country Gal said...

Yes the Cockney accent can be hard for others to understand as for me I have no problem understanding the accent or humor . Oh that must of been wonderful for you to see I would of loved it myself as I do like the original story A Christmas Carol ! I would of fallen off me chair in stitches over his quick wit punch lines and facial expressions ! Have a good evening !

Kay G. said...

Oh, you lucky thing you! I would have loved to have seen him!
And then, to be asked on stage! That's great!

Michelle said...

How fantastic! I would have been a bit frightened, but what a great experience to be onstage with him.

Steven Cain said...

You are like, the luckiest girl alive! I would love to see him perform.

Nellie said...

Oh, what fun!

Your blog design is just beautiful, Jo. It has that genuine Christmas appearance.

Terry said...

How cool is that! What a Christmas memory to treasure!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I would love to see him too
love
tweedles

Mo said...

What fun

DJan said...

Thank you for sharing that wonderful Christmas present you received. It is such a lovely thought to have a chance to be up there with him, and to perform a much needed service! :-)

John Going Gently said...

mr dickens always performed single handedly too!
and never ate anything on performance days except beef tea and some brandy and milk!
happy christmas dear jo x

Doc said...

What an absolute treasure. I as well spend time translating, my wife says Cockney is harsh and so fast when spoken that it’s hard to understand. Hmmmm never had that problem ;o)

rusty duck said...

Wow, what an experience. Nerve wracking and fun!

Lady Jane said...

What a lovely story to tell and such memories for you. Thank you for sharing.

Susie Swanson said...

what a lovely surprise and gift.. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Stella Jones said...

...and I'm sure you did a very good job even though you are from up north! (wink).
What a thrill for you and a lovely Christmas experience.
A little bit of England came to visit (smile).