Friday, February 5, 2010

The Old Front Porch.


I like Old.
Great Depression
worn-in (not worn-out)
favorite quilt
classic car.

I like the way Old feels.
Sheets washed a thousand times
frayed around the stitching
busting from stories.

I like the way Old sounds.
Creaky wooden floors
heaters that pop and snap
doors that slam like they really mean it!

I like the way Old looks.
chipped paint
worn corners
rust
not from neglect or carelessness, but from use.

I'd live in an Old house
with a big Old front porch.
One that heaves to tell me someone is home
and echos of little feet running across it.
I like Old.

~ Holly Glasgow

10 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

I love old too Jo! I love to repurpose something with a history to it! XOXO

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

I love old,primitive things with a story too,I love "old"people,people with advice to freely give based on stories of things that have happenned to them,love thinking about your poem,phylliso

cheshire wife said...

That could have been written about our cottage, but we don't have a porch. Old houses have a character that just can not be recreated.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Jo, I love those old chairs on that porch. I love 'old' things period... The older I get--the more I like OLD things...ha ha

I always wanted to buy a really old farm house and renovate it. Maybe that will happen in another lifetime.
Hugs,
Betsy

Cass @ That Old House said...

We have that old house, with the front porch and the creaks and the clanging steam heat pipes and the worn-in, worn-out floors and walls and woodwork --- and we love it. We like Old, too!

Sometimes it's a little noisy, but it's the sound of an Old House, creaks and groans and clanks and all.

Best... Cass

George said...

'New' isn't always better, is it? I like most of those old things as well. I also like the picture of the chairs on the porch.

Jeannette StG said...

I love the porch with the rocking chairs, Jo -and the poem -yes!

Sunny said...

Perfect picture and poem. I love old things, especially old chairs!
Sunny :)

Unknown said...

I love old and I love this poem!

serial tiller said...

I love old too! I pick up old things all summer at yard sales and have old things that belonged to my mother. Old speaks to me of a time past when things were well used/loved and not taken for granted. New just doesn't have enough stories to tell!