Friday, September 4, 2009

Gazebo Hankering....

Each day, as I'm driving down the main street in town, my heart skips a beat upon passing the landscaping center.

Not only an abundance of flowers, and garden architecture, but the entire front lot, filled with Amish -built gazebos.
I have wanted one of these gems in the garden for so many years, I've lost count, but not desire.



In Victorian times, a garden gazebo was a place for the ladies to retreat from the sun, so as not to mar their perfect porcelain skin.

In public parks, they were the grandstand of a Summer's afternoon
musical escapism , the podium of a speculative politician, or the shelter from a sudden downpour.
Today, gazebos can be used in a multitude of ways, but most widely, for adding outdoor living area to the landscape, and offering additional recreational opportunities.

Nestled in a woodland setting, a gazebo offers a perfect spot, to read a book, or quietly and discreetly conduct a little nature observing.



A place to partake in an afternoon tea and scone break.


A gathering spot for family, friends, food and fun.


A place of whimsy to hang the Christmas fairy lights and tree.


I'll keep tugging at The First Sergeant's sleeve.....

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful gazebos, especially the first one which brings Asia to mind... to my mind, that is.

Carol Murdock said...

I love those screened ones Jo but that first one is to die for! :)
KEEP pulling that sleeve of the Sgt.

Patsy said...

I think the Sgt would really like to have one. I think the first one is it.
Patsy

DJan said...

I just love the last two, I guess because I can see myself being free of mosquitoes and flies in there. But they are all exquisite. Good luck on getting one!

Andora said...

I really like all the gazebos,but that first one is awesome..I have been wanting one for a long time to..maybe we both may eventually someday get one..take care and have a good weekend

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love Gazebos also, Jo. We have an Amish Store in Crossville---and I'm anxious to go in there and see what they have. They do such beautiful work.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Sunny said...

I love gazebos and what a creative idea for a post.

The first one is amazing but I love the one tucked away in the woodlands, I can smell the tea brewing.

Sunny :)

L. D. said...

I even bought a book that gives how-to's in constructing various styles of gazebos. I have the theory down in my mind how it is all to be done. On my blog my kids had their wedding photos taken in a gazebo. Someday, I will build one, but I have way too many less frivolous mundane things that come first. I would rather eat the frosting first though and eat the cake later.

Wanda..... said...

The second photo is my favorite...we all can dream!

2 Dogs said...

Wouldn't that be wonderful to have!! The Victorians had it right. Wouldn't bother me at all to sit there away from the harmful rays of the sun.

The Retired One said...

They are all so stunningly beautiful!
When I see a gazebo in a park, I often wonder how many kisses and/or weddings it has witnessed!

Jill of All Trades said...

Love gazebos.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted one, too. I think my yard is too small to justify spending that kind of money, but just like I do with flowers, I might be able to "squeeze" one more thing in. Oh BTW, I'm having a giveaway at my blog. A $25 gift certificate to Burpee's. Stop on by and enter.

Unknown said...

Another love we share and we happen to have the perfect base already to go. We have the brochure and one of these days we will take the plunge finally - I hope!

Jeannette StG said...

Oooh, I would be tugging at someone's sleeve too!!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen better than this site.