Sunday, April 29, 2012

Love In A Cottage


A cottage small be mine, with porch
Enwreathed with ivy green,
And brightsome flowers with dew-filled bells,
'Mid brown old wattles seen.

And one to wait at shut of eve,
With eyes as fountain clear,
And braided hair, and simple dress,
My homeward step to hear.

On summer eves to sing old songs,
And talk o'er early vows,
While stars look down like angels' eyes
Amid the leafy boughs.

When Spring flowers peep from flossy cells,
And bright-winged parrots call,
In forest paths be ours to rove
Till purple evenings fall.

The curtains closed, by taper clear
To read some page divine,
On winter nights, the hearth beside,
Her soft, warm hand in mine.

And so to glide through busy life,
Like some small brook alone,
That winds its way 'mid grassy knolls,
Its music all its own.

Love in a Cottage ~ Daniel Henry Deniehy 1828-1865

14 comments:

Michelle said...

I often think that I would like a tiny cottage, here on my farm, just to have as my own. To retreat to when I need some quiet.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Jo! This verse is just charming and your picture with it, is just how I would imagine an 'enchanted' cottage would be!

I also missed your last post and am looking forward to lightening bugs lighting the night sky for us!

Nellie said...

Oh, I LOVE this poem! What a wonderful picture one has from the words.

Christine said...

How cozy that would be. I'd love to have a wee cottage to call my own.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Oh I wish for a small cottage too.
We love this poem, and we love coming to visit you!
love
tweedles

Unknown said...

Delightful!

DJan said...

How sweet! I wonder if everyone is attracted to little cottages like this, I know I am.

Mel said...

Perfect.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Jo, Love the poem... I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE a cottage like that. I'd put it on the top of a mountain with a view (and a waterfall nearby)... ha

Hugs,
Betsy

DeniseinVA said...

Oh how I wish and what a delightful picture to go with such a lovely poem. Makes me smile, thank you Jo. And thank you also for the lovely comment. I enjoyed the story about your next door neighbor's lab with you having dog biscuits at the ready. We used to have a black lab mix and have not had one since she left us but how I love our four-legged friends. Denise x

Dee said...

Big sigh...I think there will be sweet cottages in heaven surrounded with flowers and a babbling brook.

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

Oh, Jo! This poem! Such wonderful words and such beautiful music to accompany them! Just lovely.

Thank you so much for stopping by and letting me know that you made and enjoyed the potatoes. You made my day! And to know that you're sending the link to my blog to your granddaughter, well... I'm truly flattered.

I do hope you're having a lovely week so far. I'll be back to visit, often. ~Mary

Faye Henry said...

Such a lovely poem..
Thanks...
Take care...

Michael said...

the quintessential cottage there. Ahhh.