Monday, April 16, 2012

Late Bloomers

Our Iris have finally bloomed.
It seems as though they are always late bloomers, long after most others in the neighborhood have put on their Spring show, ours slowly awaken.

They are from antique Iris stock, handed down from family member, to family member, these particular flowers being over a half a century old.
Tended with love and shared amongst the generations, from great grandmother, to great granddaughter.



The Tennessee State Flower

May your blooms be floriferous and in good form,
Distinctive, with good substance, flare, and airborne,
With standards and falls that endure, never torn.
May you display many buds and blooms sublime,
In graceful proportion on strong stalks each day,
Gently floating above the fans and the fray.
May you too reach toward the moon and stars,
Bloom after bloom, many seasons in the sun,
Enjoying your life, health, and each loved one,
Until your 'living days are artfully done.

~ Georgia Gudykunst

14 comments:

Deb said...

The Iris..another reminder of my dear gand-mother. I love them. Deb

Country Gal said...

They are beautiful ! Lovely photo and poem !

L. D. said...

That is so nice that they are handed down from generation to generation. It is a beautiful iris.

Christine said...

Just beautiful Jo! They're my favorite flowers.

DJan said...

They are stunningly beautiful! Our iris is a long way from being ready to bloom. I love the gorgeous elegance of any iris. But yours is very special. :-)

Tweedles -- that's me said...

We love Iris's. It seems so strange to see your world in full bloom, and our Iris are just now coming out of the ground.
love
tweedles

Anonymous said...

Beeeeuatiful !!!! I love the colour, scrumptious !!!
Have a fantastic day.

Betsy Brock said...

oh, I love the generation thing. That just makes them all the more special!

Ginny said...

They are beautiful!, I think it's time I thin mine out, don't seem to have too many buds yet.

Dee said...

This is one of the first flowers I ever planted...they have always been special to me.

Carol............. said...

I'm envious! Mine won't bloom for another month or so....

Mr Paul said...

What an incredible heirloom to be able to grow.

Paul

Terry said...

Well worth the wait!

jerilanders said...

I love the idea of flowers that pass from one generation to the next. On a section of our property where once there stood a tiny house, (at least 70 years back), I found 8 lonely Iris tucked in the now-overgrown woods. They weren't getting any sun and doing poorly. I dug them up and found a special place in my garden for the old folks. I love the fact that they were planted by a hopeful gardener so long ago. I'm sure she would be pleased to know that her flowers are still alive and growing.