Monday, March 8, 2010

Grinning Like A Cheshire Cat

The grandchildren and I have a movie date this week, with the much anticipated release of the Walt Disney Productions picture Alice in Wonderland.

Tim Burton takes a stab at Lewis Carroll's timeless tale of a young girl lost within a fantasy land with this 3-D production of Alice in Wonderland, co-starring Johnny Depp as The Mad Hatter.



I'm curious to see how this magical and imaginative tale will compare to previous presentations, especially since my hometown in England is home to it's renowned Victorian author, Lewis Carroll.


Lewis Carroll - 1832-1898
Born on January 27, 1832, in Daresbury, Cheshire, England, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson was the son of a clergyman, and the third child born to a family of eleven children.

Carroll published his novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in 1865, followed by Through the Looking Glass in 1872. Alice's story began as a piece of extemporaneous whimsy meant to entertain three little girls on a boating trip in 1862.






Both of these works were considered children's novels that were satirical in nature and in exemplification of Carroll's wit. Also famous is Carroll's poem "Jabberwocky," in which he created nonsensical words from word combinations.





Cheshire Cat: If I were looking for a white rabbit, I'd ask the Mad Hatter.
Alice: The Mad Hatter? Oh, no no no...
Cheshire Cat : Or , you could ask the March Hare, in that direction,
Alice: Thank you, I think I see him......
Cheshire Cat: Of course, he's mad, too.
Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.
Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here
Cheshire Cat:You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.


Photo credits: Literature Network. Wikipedia.

12 comments:

DJan said...

I have always loved the Cheshire Cat! Are you going to see it in 3-D? I hear it's a little scary. I'd like to know what you think of it.

Susan Freeman said...

Absolutely one of my favorite books. When I was a little girl, I convinced some of the kids in my neighborhood to help me dig a hole in my yard. A hole that was deep enough to be able to discover the world that Alice found. Needless to say, my parents made us shovel all of the soil back into the hole. Such are the dreams of childhood. I hope you enjoy the film. I plan to see it as well.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Patsy said...

I hear it is scary and not the Alice in Wonderland we knew.I will be glad to hear from you about it.
Patsy

Mary Lou said...

My daughter said it was the wierdest movie ever. I'll check for your opinion....
Love the photos and story.

lesapeamusings.blogspot said...

The movie left me confused somewhat.
I did post some memorable lines from the movie on my blog.
One I simply loved was...

"The absolutely best way to travel is by HAT."

Isn't that adorable.

Tess Kincaid said...

I love all quirky things Tim Burton. Can't wait to see the movie!

karen said...

Can't wait to hear all about it! Do let us know what you think. I want to go soon...but waiting til the crowds thin out. Love your collection of pics for Alice.
Happy Monday!
xoxo

The Retired One said...

What a coincidence! We JUST got back from seeing it in 3-d...it was AWESOME...we LOVED it.

DeniseinVA said...

This looks like a very interesting version of Alice, but I like any movie with Johnny Depp in it. He usually picks great roles for himself. Enjoyed the bio on Lewis Carrol. What a great movie to see with your grandchildren. I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

Midwest to Midlands said...

I will be interested to hear what you think about the movie. Parts of it were filmed in England but from the looks of the previews it might not be recognizable. I think there is some kind of Alice in Wonderland or Lewis Carroll vistors site near the area he is from, but I have never been there. Maybe you have been there? Enjoy the time with your grandchildren.

Anonymous said...

i very much adore all your writing style, very exciting.
don't give up and also keep posting for the reason that it simply worth to follow it,
looking forward to view much more of your current web content, thankx :)

iLiveonCake said...

The first Disney version from, I believe it was 1951, was wonderfully high spirited and full of childish nonsense. The newer Time Burton version is much more, serious. The entire movie is symbolism and every line has a hidden significance. This new version is not as much about Underland, but what it represents and the lessons it teaches. How you can merely run away from your problems, but fight them head on, and then move on.