Thursday, October 22, 2009

Where Do The Years Go ?

As I was walking through the porch door yesterday, something caught my eye....
It was the three bullet holes on the left hand side of the door.
I hadn't noticed them in awhile, but they were the work of my grandson playing a joke on me, some seven years earlier.
Of course, they are fake, but I laughed heartily the first time I saw them.

I began thinking, where have those years gone ?
The times the grandchildren came by to ride the school bus in the mornings.
The hours spent watching Beatrix Potter and Disney movies all day long, snuggled in quilts on the living room floor.
Playing tea-parties and cooking pretend-meals in their children's kitchen, my grandson acting as the pizza delivery boy, on his little scooter.

They have their own room, it sits in silence. No more laughter, or dress-up games.

Their bear and rabbit collection no longer hugged.

The mama rabbit is now my company in the computer room.
Her rabbit friends keeping vigilance.

The grandchildren are grown, their interests are now friends, music and cars. I miss their laughter.

~ We've had bad luck with children; they've all grown up ~ Christopher Morley

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheers,
Saw your blog title in a friends reading list and had to stop by, my husband is from the south coast been in America almost 10 years. We run a website called A Brit In America lol!
Lovely blog!

Betsy Brock said...

Aaaw...what sweet memories! I hope I have a bunch of grandkids some day...and I hope they live close by!

AmyK said...

It is difficult enough seeing your children leave behind all their childhood, but then to see your grandchildren outgrow their toys is sad indeed. It is the nature of things. My grandsons are 7 & 8.They have already outgrown so much. I am so glad I am here to share it. We are lucky you and I.

Sunny said...

Such sweet memories, I will never know. How blessed you are.
Sunny :)

Unknown said...

Love this post. My granddaughter is almost 12 going on 20... will have to consult her mom on what the heck preteens want for Christmas 'cause I'm totally positive it's not a stuffed animal.

George said...

I've discovered that grandchildren grow up even faster than children. You were fortunate to have them so close.

L. D. said...

I was just in my basement yesterday, rearranging and throwing things away. I found my two boys Halloween maskes and the children books and was feeling the same way. My boys are out of state now and if they have grandkids for us, they will be long distance ones. Your items are so nice to have around to give you memories. I really like your things and your arrangements.

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Our darling Granddaughter will be 4 next March. We absolutely adore her and in turn she adores us. She is the sunshine in our lives but we know there will come a time when we will no longer be at the top of the "food" chain, are we dreading that day, of course we are. This is why we treasure every moment. DH and I would love to spend a few years living in the UK but we cannot bear the thought of leaving her at present. Happy days for you though I'm sure♥