Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Hotter Than A Pepper Sprout

As with most of the country, we are enduring a late spring heatwave. 98 degrees hot, and hotter as the weekend approaches. No rain in sight.

It makes for dangerous conditions if you suffer from breathing problems or have to work outside for prolonged periods of time.
It also shortens tempers.
 
The birds are hiding out beneath the canopy of trees. Every once in awhile they appear at the birdbaths to quench their thirst, all have their beaks gaped wide open in an effort to cool down.
Birds do not have sweat glands, so they can only lose heat through breathing.
Even dipping your toes in the birdbath seems to help.
 

 
 


Stay safe dear friends.

10 comments:

~Pam~ said...

The extreme heat hits us tomorrow here in Michigan. I prefer mild temps!
Take care, happy Tuesday!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's so nice to keep water for our feathered friends! Love your photos. Oh...it's hot here too! lol

Nellie said...

I am not a fan of the heat! I much prefer temps like we had when visiting London in May! We had a hawk in our birdbath this morning. He stayed for awhile.

Marcheline said...

I like the way you very Britishly did not mention whose temper got riled up by the heat.... heh! 8-)

Winifred said...

Crumbs that sounds terrible not sure how I would cope with that sort of heat. Thankfully we don't here in the Northeast of the UK. People moan about the poor summer we're having this year but it suits me fine.

Take care.

Edna B said...

Awesome photos! Summer will be hot. That is summer! Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Janet @ My Miniature Donkeys said...

My main concern is always the donks and hens. Fans ablazin' in their respective abodes.

L. D. said...

I started a project this morning and I just had to quit. The heat was great and it crept up on me. Wash out your brushes and go inside. Maybe tomorrow morning will be cooler.

L. D. said...

I always admire your ferns on the porch. Spraying them with cold water is good too.

Yvonne said...

It is indeed Hotter than a Pepper Sprout, :) Love your photos.