Saturday, October 17, 2009

Gotcha.....

My daughter, son-in-law, grandchildren and myself took "Top" to Nashville last night.
No wild buck dancing at the Wild Horse Saloon, instead a nice family dinner at his favorite restaurant The Cracker Barrel.
Just as we were finishing our meal, the waitress came by, and announced to the whole restaurant, it was my husband's birthday, and that he had just retired from the military after serving thirty eight years. There was a deadly silence, everyone stopped eating, and at the request of the waitress, a loud chorus of "Happy Birthday to You" echoed throughout the dining hall.
I can't remember the last time I witnessed my husband so red in the face, embarrassing, but worth it !
It reminded me of the Mastercard commercial :

Rounding up the family ~ impossible
Dinner at your favorite restaurant ~ 50 bucks.
Co-ordinating a hundred strangers to stop eating dinner, and sing "Happy Birthday to You" ~Priceless.

9 comments:

Andora said...

OMGOSH!!!!!! that was wonderful..
I bet you was so proud...

Anonymous said...

Love me some Cracker Barrel...I would have loved to sing along!
;D

Patsy said...

Now that was a nice Happy Birthday.
Patsy

Anonymous said...

We've joined in the singing at Cracker Barrel sometimes--in areas we were passing through and had no idea who the honorees at nearby tables were, but I've never seen the whole place stop for a song. He must be a special guy indeed.

Having 100 strangers sing to you in a Cracker Barrel is enough to make ANYONE a redneck--quite literally. :) Hope his color has returned to normal now.

Enjoy retirement--both of you!

DJan said...

Well, since he didn't have that information plastered on his shirt, there was only one way the waitress could have known that information! Good job!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

We love Cracker Barrel also, Jo. Sounds like everyone gave your hubby a great birthday 'gift'.... That is just so special.. He's had a huge weekend. Do you think he'll ever come down from this big 'high'?????

Hugs,
Betsy

L. D. said...

Even when you turn red, you really do appreciate it. I am glad they did that for him. When the restaurant discover that my kids just got married that early morning on the mountain, they came out with a large muffin and candle, plus writing in frosting on the plate congratulations. That really made it special for them, as they thought they were just having breakfast. No one sang. Good for Top111

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to your hubby... and thank him from the bottom of my heart for serving his country.

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

He so deserves it. Gee 60 I don't know why but I had the impression he was much younger and younger again for you (sorry Sergeant). Must be all that fresh air and beautiful location. Can you bottle it and please send some my way! Linda