Friday, January 26, 2024

Comfort Food


Today is a typical dark and dreary winter day,  there's not a ray of sunshine in the sky.
I'm making a Shepherd's Pie for supper to cheer ourselves up.



concoction of ground beef, onions, carrots, and peas cooked in a beef gravy and tomato sauce, with herbs and spices; then topped off with mashed potatoes and browned in the oven until the potatoes are nice and crispy.

I buy the Colman Shepherd's Pie mix, available through Publix grocery stores, on the English import isle.
If it's not on hand, then the gravy part is made with Oxo's or beef bouillon cubes and tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and parsley.

 

 
Shepherd's Pie was the first meal I cooked  as a newly wed , it remains one of my husband's  favorites to this day.
It will be accompanied by boiled cabbage, mashed 
 with lots of butter, and fresh pepper, that's how my mum used to serve it.
Serve with a slice of pickled beetroot or a few pickled onions on the side, and a nice crusty loaf of bread.
Yum.

9 comments:

local alien said...

Oh boy, that's a favourite! Just now I'm not eating potatoes and top with cauliflower mash with lots of butter and cheese . Not quite the same but still wonderful

Rian said...

Jo, we love Shepherd's pie! Your supper sounds wonderful! I make it a little different in that I put the beef and veggies inside a pie shell and then the mashed potatoes on top... and usually use a brown gravy. But I've seen the Colman's mix and have always wanted to try it. Just saw it at the British Emporium the other day. (Did try the Marmite - Yuck! THAT must be an acquired taste.)

Jon said...

I love shepherd's pie and had it for dinner yesterday. I always order it from a company called Wild Fork - - but your pie looks better than mine.

DJan said...

Sure sounds delicious!

Heritage Hall said...

Oh, Jo, today's visit sings "Home"... comfort food, indeed, especially these
dim and chilly days. Shepherd's pie duly scheduled.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your Shepherds Pie looks delicious :)

All the best Jan

Anonymous said...

So enjoyed reading your blog tonight. I found it on my old blogging site Just Between Me and You. I miss blogging and regret giving it up!
I was lucky enough to spend two weeks in beautiful England a few years ago and loved it.
I also love Tn! Beautiful waterfalls!
I hope I can come back again soon and read more of your posts.
Maggie
AKA grandma yellow hair

Gloria said...

Hello! I am stopping by through my Cousin Sara's blog. It's very cozy here. Perhaps it's because Shepherds Pie is such a cozy comfort food. While our part of the country is no longer in deep Winter Spring is still a ways away. There are few things more satisfying than a hot dish filled with meat, vegetables and potatoes on a cold and rainy night. Nice to meet you.

L. D. said...

The photo does make me hungry. It looks like a good recipe.