Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Christmas Scents

One of my favorite Christmas activities in early December, when the cold weather has set in and thoughts are turning to decorating, are to make dried orange slices for hanging on the tree.
The aroma is intoxicatingly festive, and fills the house with the fresh smell of oranges.
If you desire you can sprinkle a few with a light dusting of cinnamon, not too heavy an amount as this tends to make the oranges darker.
When they are hung from the branches and the twinkling fairy lights shine through they remind of Nature's stained-glass.

 

 

Two or three Navel oranges.
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
Prepare your pan with nonstick spray or a baking mat. ...
Slice oranges into 1/4″ slices or thinner. ... 
Pat dry with a paper towel.
Place oranges in a single layer on the prepared pan, ensuring they do not touch.
Bake for up to 6 hours or until completely dry.
Hang from the tree with jute or ribbon.

                                                                              ðŸŽ„

8 comments:

local alien said...

Thanks for the recipe. I did this years and years ago and they lasted years and years, though without the aroma. Such a simple and wonderful idea. I shall dry some more

Belinda said...

Oh, that must make your home smell so good!

Bernideen said...

And I am sure the house smelled wonderful! Smelling at Christmas time is so wonderful - haha!

Rian said...

Interesting, Jo! I have never done this, but the idea is intriguing. May have to try it. They do look like stained glass...

Jon said...

What a unique old-fashioned decoration - - and it must have a heavenly scent!

racheld said...

Those oranges seem to be everywhere! What a lovely scent and scene they add to a Christmas home, and if I hadn't spent Thursday p.m. in Aldi, and then yesterday in the other grocery, I'd be hieing myself back for a big bag for some of that stained-glass glory for our house.

Always love looking in on your doings and decorating. Best Christmas wishes from the Heartland!! r

Lowcarb team member said...

Wonderful, I'm sure I can smell the scent :)

All the best Jan

Share my Garden said...

This all looks absolutely wonderful! I'm glad you are safe. Have a lovely Christmas.