Saturday, November 24, 2012

Making A Start


I've decided to go minimal on the Christmas decorating this year, at least that's my intentions.
I do seem to have trouble knowing where to stop, once I've started.

For many years, I would hang twinkly faerie lights from every eave of the house, every tree in the yard, even the bird houses would get a mini-set of twinkle.
I would be the crazy neighbor, hanging lights from the porch long after dark, whilst the rest of the world snuggled inside.

This year, the front porch has been decorated with a fresh Balsam Fir wreath, and the doorway draped with a fresh-cut garland, both sharing their intoxicating heady scents of woodland.
Antique wooden sleds stand sentry on either side of the door, awaiting the arrival of our first snowfall.
Simple decorations shared from Nature's bounty.

16 comments:

Patsy said...

Sometime we just need simple in our life. I know it will still be beutiful.

Ginny said...

Need to see pictures

Deb said...

Simple seems to be the new look these days. I love it and find it so calming. I am going for a woodland look celebrating the beautiful creatures and the gifts of nature. It's all fun...that's what matters. Love the photo. Have a wonderful weekend. Deb

Country Gal said...

I am planning to do the same thing this year go simple, Key word here "planning" lol. Love the idea of antique sleighs on the front porch , may we see photos sounds lovely and a awesome idea . Have a good evening !

Terry said...

It sounds lovely.

DeniseinVA said...

Me too :) Love the photo!

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

A whole month of celebration !

donna baker said...

Jo, one of the prettiest trees I ever saw stood with only a raffia bow atop it.

Jill of All Trades said...

Sometimes that is the best way to go and I look forward to the simple way, next year!

DJan said...

You have such a fine sense of decoration. I look forward to seeing more Christmas stuff from you, even if it's cut back a little. :-)

Anita said...

looking forward to see those photoes!!and OLIVER!!)))))))

as always a very very beautiful blog you got.Best wishes from Anita

rusty duck said...

As we are surrounded by woodland it seems crazy not to use it. But using material from the garden to make wreaths and decorations has been my style too, for a number of years now. I do like some teeny twinkly lights mixed in with it though!

Unknown said...

I'm sure whatever you do will be beautiful. I love the idea of simple decor, especially from nature.
Happy decorating!

Susie said...

Sometimes we just over do, then others times, I just can't get everything out.:):) Enjoy your decorations. I like driving around and seeing everyone elses. Smiles to you Jo. xo, Susie

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

It sounds like you're doing what I always do too--Simple and understated, but lovely!!

I hope you're doing well, and enjoyed your Thanksgiving!!

Janneke said...

Haha, we'll wait and see. I always go for minimal, but I really cannot stop when I have started.
Wish you lots of success!