Monday, July 2, 2012

Michael Wood's Story Of England

For the Britophiles amongst us, or for those interested in English history, we are in for a treat.
The Public Broadcasting Service will air the groundbreaking series Story of England  in which  historian and broadcaster Michael Wood tells the story of the lost history of England, from the Dark Ages until the 20th century, through the eyes of one place: Kibworth, Leicestershire.

The new four-part series Michael Wood's Story of England reveals how this village, located in the heart of England, lived through the Black Death, the English Civil War, the Industrial Revolution and World War II. Intertwining the local and national narratives, Wood presents a moving and informative picture of one local community through time.


The first of the series will be shown on Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. ( check your local listings )


( Before playing the video clip, be sure to turn off the MIXPOD player, by scrolling to the bottom of the page, and clicking the LARGE ROUND button )

Make yourself a nice pot of tea, and enjoy !

20 comments:

helen tilston said...

How fabulous. I am going to check this out.

Thanks for pointing this out

Helen xx

Nellie said...

Thank you for the information. I'm sure this will be a very interesting series.

I don't find a large round button as the post comes up on my computer.:)

xo

Miriam said...

Thanks for the suggestion! We have enjoyed other series like the Victorian Farm series and the one on the history of Scotland. We'll definitely look for this one!

Hope you're managing with the heat - it sounds just brutal!

DJan said...

Thank you for this. I am off to find out when/where it plays in my part of the country! Sounds more than fascinating.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Sounds interesting !

Terry said...

Sounds like an excellent series.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Its very interesting!
love
tweedles

ann said...

I must check my local listing call my friend. Ah ha. It is airing Tuesday here too, so I set the machine to record in case I forget. Thanks for letting us know.

Stella Jones said...

I've seen this programme and it's fabulous. I know you will enjoy it.

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hello Jo! Thank you for mentioning this program as this is something I would be very interested in watching. I hope your summer is going well, I'm enjoying my break from blogging...by the way it's Maura from Lilac Lane Cottage here...I experimented with a different type of blog and now when I comment it shows this name! Oh well...at least you know who I am. I hope you are staying cool over there..we're sweltering here in Kansas. Take care.
Maura :)

trump said...

I would really like to learn more about England's civil war, and its still hard for me to even think that the USA had our own internal war so long ago.
Happy July 4 to everyone and Id like to invite everyone to my post "Lancaster on 4 wheels part 2 this coming Thursday. Richard

Dave Pie-n-Mash said...

Thanks for the tip! I read this just in time. I'll be looking for it tonight.

jerilanders said...

Jolly Good! I love this stuff, me being a bona fide Anglophile and the descendent of many fine and fair English folk. I simply devoured "The History of England". Thanks for the heads up!

donna baker said...

Can't wait.

Jill of All Trades said...

How awesome. I love to listen to him. Listened to many of his videos in my humanities class.

Ann Summerville said...

I've recorded this and can't wait to see it. The one thing I miss about England is the history and being able to see so many remnants from centuries ago.
Ann

John Going Gently said...

happy Independence day you old brit x

Harriet said...

Thank you for letting me know about Michael Wood's Story of England. I watched it was delighted, called several friends and relatives to watch it AND learned a great deal.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh wow, am I ever so happy I visited your blog today and saw this post! I just checked our listings and set my DVR to record it! I may have missed it if you haven't posted about it! Thank you!! I am passionate about English history!
Cindy

Carol said...

We wereable to watch it. Wonderful.