Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Returning

The Morning Glories have made an appearance.

This Grandpa Ott variety, returns year after year, without any help from the gardener.
The vines wrap their tendrils around the weathered-wood fence, and grace us with beauty, all summer long.

The flowers are a sumptuous Royal Blue trumpet with a contrasting purple star.
A strikingly beautiful combination.
Not quite the Autumn palette, yet nevertheless, we'll enjoy their presence until the first freeze of the season, and then it's " show-over ".


 

  



THE MORNING GLORY

Was it worth while to paint so fair
Thy every leaf - to vein with faultless art
Each petal, taking the boon light and air
Of summer so to heart?

To bring thy beauty unto perfect flower,
Then, like a passing fragrance or a smile,
Vanish away, beyond recovery's power -
Was it, frail bloom, worth while?

Thy silence answers: "Life was mine!
And I, who pass without regret or grief,
Have cared the more to make my moment fine,
Because it was so brief.

"In its first radiance I have seen
The sun! - why tarry then till comes the night?
I go my way, content that I have been
Part of the morning light!"



~ Florence Earl Coates ( 1850-1927 )

9 comments:

L. D. said...

I don'[t have to plant them anymore. I so like the color and the colors of the vines are so great too. I had a magenta one this year and the package said it was a moon flower.

jayveesonata said...

This reminds me of my maternal grandmother's yard. There were always morning glories and snap dragons.....fond memories.
Jon

Latane Barton said...

I am totally in love with morning glories!! and that blue/purple color is magnificent!!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Beautiful photos, and such a lovely poem! Thank you so much for sharing!

Henny Penny said...

That is so beautiful! A teeny tiny morning glory vine volunteered and came up in my garden with pink blooms.

Retired crafter and gardener said...

They are truly beautiful :)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Lovely to hear from you Stella, I hope you and yours are well and happy.
Hugs,
Jo

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a beautiful flower.

All the best Jan

L. D. said...

My glories are fading now and I have all those vines left. Sunflowers are failing and I have to take them down soon. Fall chores can be spread out for the whole month.