Saturday, May 25, 2024

Lest We Forget


 
"Your silent tents of green We deck with fragrant flowers;
Yours has the suffering been, The memory shall be ours."

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Memorial Day: Arlington National Cemetery
 

 

 
They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
 
~ Laurence Binyon: For the Fallen 1914

God Bless  all the service men and women, without whose unselfish commitment, our lives would be forever changed.


6 comments:

Yvonne said...

Very moving. Those who sacrificed for the good shall always be remembered.

Jon said...

Sobering thoughts on a very special day. We can't forget.....

Kathy said...

Thank you for this. So many people forget why we have this special day.

Rian said...

Beautiful words, Jo. (and I love that waving flag!)
Reminds me of a poem I have hung up by my desk:

Am I Worth Dying For

Dear Lord, Lest I continue
My complacent way,
Help me to remember,
Somehow out there
A man died for me today.
As long as there be war,
I then must
ask and answer
Am I worth dying for?
- W.H. Auden

Lowcarb team member said...

A very moving post.
We will remember them.

All the best Jan

Heritage Hall said...

Jo, bless you for this moving reminder of the heavy cost of war and what we
forfeit in the process. That first photo left me with a catch in my throat
so I shared it with those who I knew would greatly appreciate it.