Saturday, January 18, 2014

A True English Rose



 In almost every English town or city there is at least one open-air or permanent market site.
Typically, stall-holders purveying everything from fine china, and linens, to fresh produce and a virtual plethora of food items.
In earlier times , the towns set aside one day for "Market Day" where buyers and sellers peddled their wares, very often incorporating livestock sales also.

The First Sergeant loved these markets, most every week, he would rummage around, and inevitably bring home a knick-knack or two.
It was at the Warrington Market where we first laid eyes on the Royal Albert, Old Country Roses china.
Exquisitely beautiful, so fine a bone china , one could hold it up to the light and see right through. A dinnerware so timeless, it has become the world's most recognized, and celebrated pattern.

Designed by Harold Holdcroft in 1962, Old Country Roses fine bone china dinnerware was inspired by a typical English country garden with flowers in bloom.
Even in the dead of winter, a cupboard filled with English roses, I can't help but smile....

11 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

I agree, I have this on display in the china cabinet. Nice to know a little bit of its history though, thanks Jo.

Country Gal said...

My favorite pattern as well that is hard to get over here as they are swooped up soo fast. I must go back to our antique shop and look again to see if they have any . I have only been to one market over in England way back in the 70s when I was visiting family , the markets are wonderful and busy . Thanks for sharing . Have a good week !

Marilyn said...

I have the sweetest pair of tiny teacups/saucers that my late husband I brought home from Great Britain. They are such treasured reminder of our trip with Young Farmers that had stayed with us in Colorado. I would love to have more, or at least a normal sized one for tea time.♥♫

Tweedles -- that's me said...

We have a whole bunch of that china from 1962- exactly like you show.
They are beautiful,,
we are going to sell them.
yours are so pretty
love
tweedles

Merlesworld said...

It is a lovely pattern.
Merle.......

Ann Summerville said...

I didn't know they were first produced in the 1960s. Lovely pattern that reminds me of home. How I miss those open air markets.
Ann

Patsy said...

On a trip to Quebec in 1976 I purchased in a little Shoppe a cup and saucer. When The Bennie and I married in 1978 this was my chosen china. Now sad to say it is just on display in the china cabinet.

Nancy Hamilton Sturm said...

Yes, that is beautiful china. I can see why you love it. My parents purchased two identical sets of Noritaki china when we lived in Japan. I was only 3 at the time. They saved one set for me. After having it shipped with us whenever we moved, my husband and I opened the original crates and unpacked the unbroken china on our honeymoon. Love my china!

L. D. said...

It is a beautiful pattern and it being bone china is a real enhancement. I like bone china but only own a few pieces of various things.

Kim said...

My mother gave me her set of Old Country Rose china many years ago. Because of limited space, right now it's stored behind a kitchen cabinet door. I hope to one day use it more and display it - it is beautiful.

Betty said...

Yes, a cup of steaming tea please!

Old Country Roses is my china and it make me happy just to pass by and see it in the china cabinet.

I have a dear English friend in Wales and friends in Chattanooga, TN that we visit frequently...as a matter of fact they are coming to visit us Wednesday.

Blessings,
Betty @ Country Charm