Thursday, October 20, 2016

Older Than Dirt

I've been busy giving some of the Blue Willow and Staffordshire Ware pieces a bath.
I'm not sure why, it seems I often get the urge to spring clean in the fall.
I think it has something to do with the changing seasons, the coolness of the Autumn air, the heady scent of spiced-mix candles magically weaving their spell.


This gathering of antique 'blues' are collectively over a half millennium in age. They are still beautiful after all their years of service, and oh, what stories they could tell !
I often find myself wondering what tales the little creamers could tell, if only they could talk.
Sitting around a Victorian ladies tea table, listening to the latest fashion news from Europe.
Or quietly displayed in the cabinet of a fine Southern Antebellum home laying in wait to be used for a special dinner, in celebration of a loved one, returning home from some foreign war.


 
Lots more to go.....

5 comments:

Janice Kay Schaub said...

some day I will have to downsize. I can't bare to get rid of so many things. I think I will have to look for display cabinets in order to coral some of the clutter that I love. I enjoy seeing your home and bits and pieces
Janice

Deb said...

Oh, how lovely. Yes, I think of the history of many of my pieces of blue and white, too. I hold a tea-cup in my hand and think how many others have enjoyed a beverage from this very cup. You have a cabinet I would love to peak into. :)

Patsy said...

When we downsized it was hard to chose which to sale and to keep.
It took a while to not obsess over what I sold.
Love your dishes!

Susie said...

Jo, Your china hutch looks full of wonderful pieces. I love that design. It always looks great with yellow. Hope you are well and loving your fall.Blessings, xoxo, .Susie

L. D. said...

Your blues are so beautiful. We have a cheap set but enjoy them just the same. We do have an antique set of dishes that we like because of their history and beauty. I always enjoy seeing all of your collections.