Friday, April 8, 2016

Tea And Scones



Just when the Dogwood's and Flowering Cherry trees are in full bloom, Mother Nature plays a joke by sending the temperatures plummeting this weekend,  frost warnings are already in force.

April can be such a fickle month, she lures us with the promise of new growth and rebirth, the flowers emerge out of the hardened soil, the Robins return, gardeners get busy, and then the weather turns cold.

A gentle rain is falling as I type, a dark and cozy Spring day, to be savored.

                                                                ***********
 
 
" The best kind of rain, of course, is a cozy rain.
This is the kind the anonymous medieval poet makes me remember, the rain that falls on a day when you'd just as soon stay in bed a little longer, write letters or read a good book by the fire, take early tea with hot scones and jam and look out the streaked window with complacency. "

~Susan Allen Toth, England For All Seasons

13 comments:

donna baker said...

Jo, I'll be by in a minute. God I hope that freeze doesn't come here. I've been planting geraniums.

L. D. said...

We have hand anything but gentle rains the past few days. Today is sunny but we ares suppose to be below freezing tonight. I can keep up with all the changes. Spring jacket in the morning then winter jacket in the evening. I hope you are feeling and doing better.

Cynthia said...

I love your comment about a cozy rain, and I do agree. There is something about a Spring rain that makes one want to sit by a small fire and have tea. We're expecting SNOW in Northern Ohio. I hope this is the last until it's proper time for it, in December.

vic said...

Wonderful quote about the cozy rain. I love that kind of rainy day. I call them "soft" rains.

Patsy said...

It is to windy and very cool but the sun is shining, in this part of Tennessee to day.

Jo said...

Hello Jo, I love your poetic quote about the cozy rain. Are you better now? Love the tea and scones, YUM! Blessings Jo (South Africa)

Henny Penny said...

Jo, you are so right about April. The flowers and trees came out way too early this year. You write so beautifully...kinda makes me wish for a rainy day.

DJan said...

So lovely! That china makes me smile. :-)

Susie said...

Jo, You are so right....the promise of flowers and sunshine. But winter has sneaked back into the picture for a few more days. Hopefully next week this cold snap will be gone. I am ready. Wish I had one of those lovely scones. LOL. Bless you sweet friend, hope you are doing well. xoxo,Susie

Betsy Brock said...

Our April is being fickle, too! But I think she's decided on cold and snow as it seems to be here to stay!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Were coming over too!
love
tweedles

CecileD said...

Yum !! I love scones but I am eating them with jam !
What are you putting in them please ? Chocolate ?

A Brit in Tennessee said...

CecileD: Those scones are cranberry and orange :)
I love them with jam and Devon clotted cream too !
~Jo