Sunday, July 25, 2021

Weaving Their Way






THE MORNING GLORY

Was it worth while to paint so fair
Thy every leaf - to vein with faultless art
Each petal, taking the boon light and air
Of summer so to heart?

To bring thy beauty unto perfect flower,
Then, like a passing fragrance or a smile,
Vanish away, beyond recovery's power -
Was it, frail bloom, worth while?

Thy silence answers: "Life was mine!
And I, who pass without regret or grief,
Have cared the more to make my moment fine,
Because it was so brief.

"In its first radiance I have seen
The sun! - why tarry then till comes the night?
I go my way, content that I have been
Part of the morning light!"


~ Florence Earl Coates ( 1850-1927 )


10 comments:

Lori said...

Stunning photos!

Edna B said...

Beautiful! I love morning glories. That's a beautiful poem, and it describes the morning glory so well. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Rian said...

Love this, Jo!

Sandi said...

Gorgeous.

DJan said...

That last picture is a stunner. It looks like the light is coming right out of the middle of the flower. :-)

Gemma's person said...

Morning glories are a favorite of mine. Waiting on blooms yet this year.

Henny Penny said...

The beautiful poem is perfect for your beautiful Morning Glory vine. Don't think I've ever seen a Morning Glory as pretty as yours.

Yvonne said...

I enjoy this poem so much. Such short lived beauty that leaves a lasting memory. It doesn't get much better than that.

Marcheline said...

I planted the morning glory seeds my mother sent me (from NC) in two places. 1) A pot next to the archway which leads from my patio to the circle garden. 2) Pots on a wall hanger on the back of my brick cottage.

The vines growing up over the archway have HUGE leaves, but have produced not one single flower.

The vines growing up the back wall of the cottage have produced a few flowers that were white, with pale purple stripes, and all the flowers that followed have been white only.

How odd!

The morning glories I am used to seeing are like the ones in your lovely photos... deep purple.

L. D. said...

Beautiful photos. You have great glories every year.