*

*

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Holding On

The arbor- trellis roses are still blooming their little hearts out.
Perfect sunny days, and mist-laden, cool nights, affording them once last chance at a flush of beauty, before the first frost appears.






'Tis the last rose of summer
Left blooming alone;
All her lovely companions
Are faded and gone;

No flower of her kindred,
No rosebud is nigh,
To reflect back her blushes,
To give sigh for sigh.

I'll not leave thee, thou lone one!
To pine on the stem;
Since the lovely are sleeping,
Go, sleep thou with them.

Thus kindly I scatter,
Thy leaves o'er the bed,
Where thy mates of the garden
Lie scentless and dead.

So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
From Love's shining circle
The gems drop away.

When true hearts lie withered
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit,
This bleak world alone?


The Last Rose of Summer:  Thomas Moore 1805
 
 

11 comments:

DJan said...

So very beautiful! And thank you for the poem, too. :-)

donna baker said...

I think that is the prettiest rose I have ever seen.

Betsy Brock said...

They look absolutely perfect! I love that soft shade of blush. Lovely!

Janneke said...

One of my favorite poems and such a beautiful roses.....

Louca por porcelana said...

Wonderful roses!!!

Rian said...

Beautiful... rose and poem. I tend to love those pale pink almost white roses. My favorite are old world roses, but I really couldn't tell you why.

Kathy said...

I have a few roses still blooming also. The last of summer's glory. Yours are lovely.

Jen said...

That rose is beautiful so delicate the colour.Loved reading the Last Rose of Summer poem .

Anonymous said...

Keep on writing, great job!

Janice Kay Schaub said...

lovely poem. I could take this weather all year. Mild and sunny in the high 60s. I love Autumn, I hope its a long one this year to make up for the dreadful summer. Enjoy the peaceful days before winter comes
Janice

L. D. said...

Great verse and your roses are unbelievable. They are so perfect. It is amazing how some plants get a second wind at the end of the season. I just dead headed one of my new ones but I doubt I get new buds.