Sunday, July 23, 2017

Blooming Lovely

The Rose of Sharon (Althea hibiscus syriacus) has bloomed it's heart out for close to a month now.
These are the hardiest of bushes, withstanding heat, drought, and even a barrage of Japanese beetles this year.
This particular bush was a volunteer, a single seed or two carried by the wind or possibly a bird.
It is also a second generation plant, the original bush belonging to my husband's mother who shared it's propagated beauty from her garden to ours.
Oftentimes they are considered an invasive plant, because they tend to spread so easily, but not to this gardener, we enjoy those endless blooms throughout the months of July and August, year after year.
 

 

8 comments:

Mildred said...

Good Day, Beautiful bloom. We currently do not have these in our garden but just yesterday, we saw many blooms at a local restaurant. Enjoy your day.

Kathy said...

My sister has some pink and rose colored Rose of Sharon in her yard. I've never seen a white one. It's beautiful.

donna baker said...

Love passing plants along. It has cooled this morning and I had coffee outside on the porch. I had a hard time fighting the flies for a sip.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Kathy: It's a very pale pink, but looks almost white with a red center.
~Jo

Felicia Khamylle said...

Absolutely beautiful!

annie said...

My mother had a pink one that grew up the side of the house beside a Firethorn. The Rose of Sharon was lovely all summer and the Firethorn was magnificent in fall.
I agree with you, they are not pesky at all, just lovely.

Susie said...

Jo, I had one of these in town. I would love a couple here along the back fence. We did get a bit of a cool down here in central Indiana today. I got to be outside for a bit. Love that. Hope you are doing well . Blessings, xoxo, Susie

L. D. said...

I love this flower. It is so wonderful in shape and color. I have been fighting those same insects. I may have to go back and get another bottle of the spray to be sure they don't overrun things.