*

*

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Bee-ing Busy


The garden is all abuzz, with bees, and butterflies, lightning bugs and ladybugs.
All so very busy dutifully distributing the pollen amongst the flowers.
I thank them more than words can say.

 
 
 
 








 Like trains of cars on tracks of plush
I hear the level bee:
A jar across the flowers goes,
Their velvet masonry
Withstands until the sweet assault
Their chivalry consumes,
While he, victorious, tilts away
To vanquish other blooms.
His feet are shod with gauze,
His helmet is of gold;
His breast, a single onyx
With chrysoprase, inlaid.
His labor is a chant,
His idleness a tune;
Oh, for a bee's experience
Of clovers and of noon!

~ Emily Dickinson : The Bee (1830)



9 comments:

Donna OShaughnessy said...

So love your photos and the poetry but I was especially happy today to learn a new word. "Chrysophrase" is a green gemstone. I had no idea. Thanks for that :)

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Beautiful photos! Because of the cold and mostly rainy days we have had so far here in upstate New York only the Junebugs and a few fireflies have made an appearance but I have hope my little bee families will show up sometime soon. In the meantime your photos will have to do! Tina xo

Henny Penny said...

Your pictures and poems are always just perfect! I can remember when it was hard to walk barefoot in the yard without being stung on the foot by a honeybee in the clover blooms. Now it is rare to see a honeybee at all. I LOVE your old sink (in your last post).

DJan said...

Emily is one of my favorite poets. I love your fabulous pictures of bees. They are essential and delightful, too :-)

Cynthia said...

Beautiful, beautiful images!

Winifred said...

That was lovely. I love bumble & honey bees.

Sad they're in so much decline through the pesticides being used now in large scale agriculture. There's a big global fight on at the moment over the use of them. http://www.globalresearch.ca/death-of-the-bees-due-to-neonicotinoid-pesticides-produced-by-bayer-monsanto-sygenta/5532570

It would be sad to see these amazing creatures disappear.

Thanks for the lovely photos & poem.

Rebecca said...

Where would we BEE without them? :)
We certainly are keeping them busy up here, too!
As usual, your photos are so very special. Always a banquet for my eyes here....

Susie said...

I love seeing the bees busy in the garden.. I will be chasing butterflies here soon...always trying to get that great photo. LOL. Blessings for a sweet day , xoxo, Susie

L. D. said...

Your blooms are beautiful. I like the blues and purples in the flowers. I am doing battle with a bad batch of morning glory seed. I can't seem to get them to start and now it is too late too try. Your greens are sure green too. We are having a hot normal summer this time so we are scorched more that glowing with color.