Thursday, March 2, 2017

Springing To Life



I found myself running an unexpected errand today, to the big city of Nashville.
It's a bustling, noisy city, full of all that cities have to offer, and has the ever present influence of the Country Music industry.
The antebellum-style mansion of President Andrew Jackson lies within view along my route, the fields are green with new growth, and the surrounding farms are home to flocks of new Spring lambs.
Is there anything sweeter, than a field full of Spring lambs prancing about their mothers.


 
Young Lambs

The spring is coming by a many signs;
The trays are up, the hedges broken down
That fenced the haystack, and the remnant shines
Like some old antique fragment weathered brown.
And where suns peep, in every sheltered place,
The little early buttercups unfold
A glittering star or two - till many trace
The edges of the blackthorn clumps in gold.
And then a little lamb bolts up behind
The hill, and wags his tail to meet the yoe;
And then another, sheltered from the wind,
Lies all his length as dead - and lets me go
Close by, and never stirs, but basking lies,
With legs stretched out as though he could not rise.

~John Clare
 

6 comments:

donna baker said...

That must have been a nice drive. Heard they had storm damage in Nashville.

Patsy said...

I hope the scene never fades away, from our busy life's.

Betsy Brock said...

Sweetest thing ever! Awww.

Deanna said...

Hello from Kansas. I would so love to see the mansion. Think this would be fun! A lovely drive...so pretty.
Blessings,
d

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of the lambs.

L. D. said...

I see on the edge of town that the farm is having calves. I don't know if I can get there but would love to share photos of them. They are just born the past week.