*

*

Friday, February 10, 2017

Snow Moon



  
Brightly the moon like a jewel is beaming,
White in the east, o'er a lone landscape gleaming,
Over the meadows and over the snow,
Glimmering, shimmering, silvery glow.

Low in the east, when the gloaming is ending,
Slowly this white winter moon is ascending,
Looming so large and appearing so nigh,
Satellite framed by a star-spangled sky.

High in the sky, with soft radiance teeming,
Nigh to the time when men, women, are dreaming,
Weird is her splendor on valley and hill,
Cold is her gleam upon river and rill.

Brightly the moon like a jewel is shining,
White in the west she is slowly declining,
Beautiful Moon ! Which beams gorgeous and grand
Over the homes of our own Native Land.

~Charles Nevers Holmes. 1926.

10 comments:

NotesFromAbroad said...

What a perfectly wonderful photo.
I take countless photos of moons and they never look anything like they should .. I failed moon photography I guess :)

Betsy Brock said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I had to zoom in close to get anything good. We didn't have that gorgeous golden light like you did! We had a hazy rainbow ring....doesn't that mean snow tomorrow?

local alien said...

Beautiful photo and poem

DJan said...

It looks a little like what I saw this morning, looking out the window at our Snow Moon. :-)

donna baker said...

Yes Jo, such a pretty picture. I went out to see the moon last night and there was a large ring around it. Hope I can get the Preen and fertilizer down before rain comes.

Kay G. said...

Thank you for this lovely poem and your photo of the moon!
It was lovely last night.
Take care. x

Susie said...

Jo, I got picture of the moon rising as our sun was setting..I truly need a zoom lens ...my photo is not a good as yours. But I was loving the sunset. Nice poem too. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Henny Penny said...

I've never read that poem before. It's beautiful. The moon was still big and bright early this morning when I carried Eli out.

Patsy said...

It was a beautiful moon!

L. D. said...

This is such a wonderful photo.