*

*

Saturday, February 11, 2017

My Symphony

 
 
 
To live content with small means.
To seek elegance rather than luxury,
    and refinement rather than fashion.
To be worthy not respectable,
    and wealthy not rich.
To study hard, think quietly, talk gently,
    act frankly, to listen to stars, birds, babes,
    and sages with open heart, to bear all cheerfully,
    do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never.
In a word, to let the spiritual,
    unbidden and unconscious,
    grow up through the common.
This is to be my symphony.


~ William Henry Channing   (1810-1884)

6 comments:

Nancy T. said...

One of my long time favorite poems. Good words to live by, too. Thanks for posting.

Merisi said...

Thank you for this beautiful poem, perfect for any day, but especially on a Sunday!

Lady Jane said...

What a lovely symphony!!! Have a great week. Hugs, LJ

rebecca said...

These inspiring words cover almost EVERYthing!
Taking time to ponder them
line by line
this quiet Sunday afternoon...

Janice Kay Schaub said...

Thank you so much for the kind comments on my blog. For some reason your comments are not coming into my email, I just want to say that I appreciate your comments. I love your blog and visit as much as I can, how do you find all the lovely poems? You either have a fantastic memory or a lot of poetry books (smile)
Hugs Janice

L. D. said...

The ceramic house is wonderful. The replica is of olden days.