*

*

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Hobbit Days



Goodness the weather is bitterly cold.
The sun has shone all day long, but the wind has been horrendous, and temperatures dropping to a wintry mix later tomorrow.
The town is full of sickness, colds, flu and lots of pneumonia, I've been trying to stay home as much as possible, since I tend to be one of those 'susceptible to bronchitis' types.

I made a hearty homemade beef stew today, chocked full of vegetables, with an aromatic tomato base, and spices.
It's a Southern recipe, easy, and delicious.

Always best accompanied by a skillet of buttermilk cornbread.



Nothing fancy, just basic Beef and Vegetable Stew.
One and a half pound of stew beef.
A large onion chopped
Two ribs of sliced celery
Cut up potatoes
Sliced carrots
A large can of whole peeled tomatoes chopped up in bite sized pieces
Can of chili beans with the sauce
Can of sliced green beans
Can of peas
Can of corn if I have it.
Beef or vegetable stock
Chili powder
Bay leaves (2)
Garlic powder
Parsley fresh
Salt and Pepper to taste
Most anything you like to throw in the pot....sometimes I add cabbage.

Southern Cornbread
1 1/3 cups of buttermilk or milk
1/3 cup of vegetable oil or solid shortening (melt if solid shortening)
2 cups of buttermilk cornmeal mix
1 ounce of melted butter
1 beaten egg
Oven temp 425 degrees

Place a cast iron skillet, or cake pan with a small amount of shortening inside the oven until the shortening melts and pan is hot.
Add mixture, bake for 15 / 20 minutes until golden brown


It's been a good day to stay close by the hearth side, indulge in a bowl of homemade stew, and enjoy the company of a portly cat or two by your side.
I wish you a warm and snuggly weekend.
 

11 comments:

Bernideen said...

How wonderful to include the recipes! Looks amazing!

Bernideen said...

I hate it when people ask questions in their comments but I am assuming you did not drain those canned vegetables!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Hello Bernideen, I always drain the liquid from the canned vegetables, simply because it is usually full of sodium.
Jo

Luna Crone said...

When I go out for groceries, etc., I wear a face mask. I too can get terrible bronchitis. So I am doing all I can, to keep from being sneezed on or coughed on. I'm not bothered by how the mask looks. My health is more important than looking a little funny. ,-)))))

We are cold here, and are having lots of snow. Very pretty, actually. We got all our errands done, and do not have to go out today. So it's a baking day! Sugar-free gluten-free Cornbread for me, in an iron skillet. And a Mincemeat Pie, for my husband.

Baking smells nice, and the stove being on, warms the downstairs more, too.

Oh, and Hallmark Ch. Christmas movies on, all day!!!!!! :-)

Wishing you a cozy room, and a comfy chair, and a good book to read, while Winter closes in around us,
Luna Crone

Lady Jane said...

It has been so cold here also. Snowing today and getting ready to go out and snow blow a place for max to potty. Loved your pics in the last post. I love love that teapot... I am making a pot of tea to come into from the cold. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas. Hugs, LJ

L. D. said...

Your food looks so good. I like that you use your skillet to cook cornbread. We are having one of those windy days where we have to find a warm room to be in opposite the way the wind is blowing. More decorating to do this evening with our village and then we will be done.

local alien said...

Tasty stew. Love that you put beans and peas and chili in it. Full flavour! I've only tasted cornbread once. Delicious!

Henny Penny said...

Oh my goodness! The fire, the stew, the cornbread. Makes me want to get busy cooking. I did bake a pan of cornbread first thing this morning...to crumble for the baby chicks. It's so cold outside and they love cornbread. It did not look as good as yours does though.

rebecca said...

It's cold up here, too!
I fixed chili last night.
The stew looks yummy.
Maybe tomorrow?
I only dream about a real fire in a fireplace.
It's afghans and warm slippers for me.

donna baker said...

Well, I wish I was there Jo because I just pulled a crown off with some homemade peanut brittle and the bitter wind is about to blow the roof off with single digits tonight. :(

Kathy said...

I have planned on having a stew tomorrow for several days now. Yours looks delicious and has made up my mind for me that tomorrow is the day. Nice and warm, filling, and the house will smell wonderful. Thanks for the encouragement. Too bad I don't have the ingredients for corn bread, so some biscuits will have to do.