*

*

Monday, November 7, 2016

Timeless Treasures

I have a fondness for English Staffordshire Ware.
 
One look at those pastoral village scenes, and I'm transported back to my grandmother's kitchen, where her cupboard displayed shelf upon shelf of these timeless treasures.
 
I can see the kitchen table covered in a freshly-starched embroidered tablecloth, the milk-jug sitting atop, awaiting the first of many pots of tea served throughout the day.
Treasured memories of gentler times........
 
 


One of my favorite collections are from the Alfred Meakin "Tintern" series.
I'm drawn to their bucolic scenes from years gone by.


 


Let's put the kettle on !
 

15 comments:

Deb said...

They are so pretty, Jo.

donna baker said...

Are the first jugs green? I don't think I've ever seen that color before. I love blue and white, red and white, brown and white and lavender and white. Guess I love it all.

Collie222 said...

Lovely!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Donna: Yes they are green, and not as easily found, as the other colors.
~Jo

Szara Sowa said...

"How memories of former days are marvellous ..." (from Polish song)

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Oh my goodness, you took me right back to my grandmother's kitchen with that first picture of the green pitchers. I haven't thought of that in YEARS. In fact, I don't think I've seen green ones since. -Jenn

SimplySingleSenior said...

Those are beautiful pieces and such treasures! I adore transferware! No other design creates such a feeling of cozy warmth!

Bernideen said...

Those are beautiful!

Jen said...

Hello Jo, It is lovely seeing your milk jug treasures and how they give you memories of days gone by.

Summer said...

Such beauties ♥

annie said...

I share your love of Staffordshire ware.
My mother's well worn milk jug is a treasured possession.

Janice Kay Schaub said...

I don't often see those. I remember the milk at my mums and every other house I remember was left out. Tea was always there. If someone stopped in, the kettle went on. In many cases the person herself put it on as she walked through the kitchen. Walks in "kettles on" .......I miss that neighbourly interaction.
Janice

Angela Gabhart said...

All of the colors are gorgeous!!! Beautiful patterns!

ann said...

Beautiful--do I call it china a pottery? It is gorgeous and I love the lighting in you photographs.

L. D. said...

The collection is so beautiful. History and designs make them really special.