*

*

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

First Find A Shepherd

A favorite English dish of mine is, Shepherd's Pie, a working man's staple.

A concoction of ground beef, onions, carrots, and peas cooked in a beef gravy and tomato sauce, with herbs and spices; then topped off with mashed potatoes and browned in the oven until the potatoes are nice and crusty.

I buy the Colman Shepherd's Pie mix, available through Publix grocery stores, on the English import isle.
If it's not on hand, then the gravy part is made with oxo's or beef bouillon cubes and tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and parsley.

 
Shepherd's Pie was the first meal I cooked  as a newly wed , it remains one of my husband's  favorites to this day.




It was accompanied by boiled cabbage, mashed it with lots of butter, and fresh pepper, that's how my mum used to serve it.
Serve with a slice of pickled beetroot or a few pickled onions on the side, and a nice crusty loaf of bread.
Yum.
 

10 comments:

donna baker said...

Yum indeed Jo. I've never made it. Love your breadboard.

Rian said...

We love shepherd's pie! It's my husband and my son's favorite dish. My dad and his family are from England so I guess that's why it's popular for us. However, I make it a little different... (never heard of Coleman's Shepherd's pie recipe mix, but we do use Coleman's mustard). I use a brown gravy and serve it in an open pie shell. It is good!

Latane Barton said...

Lordy mercy, Girl... you trying to starve me or what!! That sounded so good and I want a huge helping but cooking for one is rather trying. But, thanks for the idea.

Summer said...

Absolutely delish ♥

local alien said...

The whole family love this. Mmm delicious!

Cheryl mylittlepieceofengland said...

We love shepherds pie, I haven't used a mix, we love bistro gravy with ours xx

DJan said...

Looks delicious and just right for fall. :-)

Country Gal said...

We love it here to , my mum always made it as well when I was a kid it was one of my dad faves to , only we call it cottage pie made with ground beef and shepherds pie made with ground lamb either way it is YUMMY ! Perfect for a chilly days supper . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Dianne said...

I have just started making Shepherd's Pie. My Mom used to make it, but I never did. I have never seen the Colman's, but will be looking for it to give it a try. Would be perfect as this cold weather is moving in. Dianne

L. D. said...

I had forgotten about Shepherd's pie but is does look very delicious. Sounds like a traditional English meal. Yum.