*

*

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Soup's On


Our first cold night of the season last night.
It's the perfect time to warm up with a hearty bowl of homemade soup.


Cabbage and Bean Soup

Navy or Northern Beans
Cabbage
Onions
Carrots
Celery
Ham Hock
Smoked sausage or Kielbasa sliced
Chicken Stock
28oz can of whole tomatoes
Bay Leaf
Salt and Pepper
Basil and thyme to taste.

Soak beans overnight, discard water, add chicken stock, ham hock, smoked sausage, herbs, and seasoning, bring to the boil and then simmer for one hour.

Add chopped cabbage, onions, carrots, celery, chopped tomatoes,  continue to simmer for an additional hour and a half.
Add water if needed.

Serve with buttermilk cornbread.

Yum

11 comments:

Stella Jones said...

Looks lovely Jo. I had something very similar last night and it did me good! Do you use Italian tinned tomatoes in your soup?

donna baker said...

Well, when we finally get some cold weather, I shall try some. Looks good.

L. D. said...

Wow, that looks so good. I remember that smell when my mom use to make it at home years ago.

Bernideen said...

Wonderful soup for this cooler weather! How lovely!

Chy said...

Looks amazing and sounds delicious!

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks delicious!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

yummmm
love
tweedles

weekend-windup said...

Soup looks great. It is very healthy for us.

CecileD said...

Thank you for this yummy recipe ! :)

cheryl at my little piece of england said...

Not a bean eater myself, but for the rest of the family it sounds just the thing now it's getting so much colder xx on Soup's On

Remove content | Delete | Spam

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I just discovered your blog. That soup looks perfect! I love homemade soups but only during fall and winter. I really enjoy the beautiful homes you feature along your sidebar. -Jenn