Monday, October 3, 2016

English Country Folk

A little treasure from the Royal Doulton, Beswick, English Country Folk Collection,
Mrs Rabbit Baker.
I found her on one of our many trips to the antique shops in England last Autumn.
She reminds me of my grandma Elizabeth Jane, who owned one of the towns local bakeries.
 




" No matter what time you call in at Mrs. Rabbit's homely* cottage, you're sure to find her hard at work in the cozy, wood-panelled kitchen.
Whether a traditional Sunday roast, delicious cakes, or her famous homemade scones, Mrs Rabbit's care and skill make every mouthful a special treat."


* for American readers the use of the word 'homely' in England means cozy and comfortable.

11 comments:

Chy said...

So sweet Jo. Love the colors!

Deb said...

Oh, that is adorable.

White Lace and Promises said...

I thought homely meant, a bit plain. I like your definition better.

L. D. said...

I like Mrs. Rabbit a lot and she does do many good things in the kitchen.

donna baker said...

I love it Jo. I remember your grandmother's bakery and you delivering the loaves. Do you have any bread recipes of hers?

Patsy said...

I need her to go with my Mr. Rabbit.
Maybe some day she will show up.

Micaela said...

Beautiful, beautiful.
I love the traditional Sunday roast, with family and friends...priceless.

SimplySingleSenior said...

Glad you explained homely! lol. Mrs. Rabbit is adorable.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Yes, I learned very early in my move to the USA that many of our words in England, have a totally opposite meaning here in the States.
I once commented on a lady's home being homely, and didn't find out until much later that I had unknowingly insulted her :(
~Jo

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I love them!
love
tweedles

Jayne said...

Very sweet :-)