*

*

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Mistaken Identity

The first time I laid eyes on this plant, it was in the side-yard of my husband's aunt's home..
I thought she had planted herself a little patch of tobacco.
The blooms had not yet emerged ,  and I was convinced that it looked similar to the fields full of tobacco plants dotted throughout the Tennessee landscape.
Thankfully, she laughed at the very thought.
 
Over the years, we have grown the red canna lilies, and then last year my daughter shared her yellow ones with us.
Their tall majestic foliage and colorful blooms add interest to the garden, demanding their own space and attention.
A deer fence had to be erected, since they seem to love them, just as much as we do.
 
 



7 comments:

Susan Freeman said...

They are beautiful! I wish I had a little cottage in your part of the country. I know I would love it!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Kimberly~Nutbrown Cottage said...

They're lovely! I really enjoy your pretty blog!

Janneke said...

So lovely these yellow Canna beauties!

Henny Penny said...

The canna lilies are just beautiful! Several years ago I brought a few yellow ones home from my Mother's yard. Those bloomed one year and disappeared. A couple years ago a friend gave me a few red ones that died in the pots before I ever got them planted. Maybe I will try again. Did not know the deer would eat them. Your posts are always beautiful and special.

Stella Jones said...

That deer fence seems ingenious! The flowers are gorgeous. I've tried to grow hello irises in my garden but it doesn't seem to work. Those are lilies?

donna baker said...

The damn deer are eating us out of house and home at the farm.

annie said...

The combination of the green and yellow is beautiful.
I love the varying shades of green in summer.