Thursday, June 30, 2016

It's A Southern Thing

One of the things I love most about Summer's in the South, is the food.


It's no secret that Southerner's love fried food, and fry most everything, including pickles !
Truthfully, if you've never eaten a batch of fried okra, or a homegrown fried green tomato, you're missing out.
The first of the summer tomatoes are ripe for the picking and one of my favorite ways to enjoy them is the tomato sandwich.

 
 
It's a specialized concoction, you have to follow the rules, or it's not the genuine article.
First, it has to be made on white bread, not some wholesome whole wheat, or fancy grain.
Only bread with over processed white bleached flour, and little nutritional value is accepted.
Next, it has to have REAL mayonnaise, not lite or olive oil based....Duke's or Hellman's preferably.
There are some folks who substitute with Miracle Whip, they're not considered loyalists.
Last but not least, homegrown, plump, vine ripe tomatoes; preferably still warm from the vine.

Spread both slices of white bread with mayonnaise, don't skimp, slather it on.
Next, layer slices of tomato on bottom slice and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
Last, cover with top bread slice.
That's it, done !

It's pure heaven on a bread slice,

17 comments:

Denise at Forest Manor said...

Love this, Jo -- you've got it down pat! I remember once reading in Southern Living that you should eat your fresh tomato sandwich with mayo while standing over the kitchen sink in case the juice runs down your arms. :-D

We're looking forward to tomato season here at our house! Hope you have a good weekend and a Happy Fourth of July!

Hugs,

Denise

Plain Jane said...

The only mayo for a mater sandwich is JFG and you never ruin a mater with pepper :-)
This post brings back a lot of childhood memories, both my mom & my granny loved their 'mater sandwiches.

bayou said...

Ha, EG's (Cheshire) version is tomato and egg sandwich. He skips the mayo, choppes tomato into tiny bits and adds equally tiny bits of hard boiled eggs, mixes both and puts it on the buttered white bread sandwich. Do you know that one, as well? Of course no chance of home-grown tomato without greenhouse in these regions....

vic said...

Oh my that sounds finger-lickin' good

Notes From ABroad said...

Absolutely ! Only white bread and only Hellmans ( Real Mayo) and a bit of salt and pepper and you are set.
Probably the first sandwich I ever made by myself .. growing up in North Carolina and having a grandmother who gardened and taught me how to do small things. It served me well :)

Anonymous said...

My lunch everyday during the summer!!!

Patsy said...

You are so right! About the south and the tomato.
The only reason to have hot,hot summer time.

Rebecca said...

Oh, yes! Waiting (impatiently) for our tomatoes to ripen...and it will be Hellman's for me :) Thanks for whetting my appetite.

Betsy Brock said...

Yum! That looks delish! I can't wait for mine to turn red. The green ones look promising, though! That sandwich is most definitely southern. We would add bacon and lettuce to it...never even considering it plain, but it sure looks good to me! I'll eat summer tomatoes any which way!

DJan said...

It looks wonderful! :-)

Henny Penny said...

Jo, you are exactly right about how to eat a tomato sandwich, and for us, it's got to be Duke's. My stepdad used to say tomato sandwiches were best (of course, made like you said) but then wrapped in wax paper to sit for a while. Guess that made them even juicier!

Susie said...

Jo, I like a good tomato on a sandwich...but I have never just eaten tomatoes and mayo.LOL. Fresh food is awesome isn't it? wishing you and yours a great holiday weekend. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Kathy said...

I love tomato sandwiches just as you described. And I'm a northern girl!

Deb said...

Sounds good to me.

L. D. said...

That does look delicious. We don't do that often enough with our tomatoes.

Jaybird said...

Right on all counts!!!
Blessings,
J

Elizabeth P said...

That picture has my mouth watering! My husband never has gotten the thing of tomato sandwiches... most certainly a southern delicacy! :)