*

*

Saturday, April 23, 2016

An Iris Blessing

Springtime in Tennessee
Our Iris have finally made an appearance.
Antique stock, tended with love and shared amongst the generations, from great grandmother, to great granddaughter, year after year.
It's easy to see why this southern beauty is aptly chosen as the State of Tennessee Cultivated flower.




 
 
The Tennessee State Flower

May your blooms be floriferous and in good form,
Distinctive, with good substance, flare, and airborne,
With standards and falls that endure, never torn.
May you display many buds and blooms sublime,
In graceful proportion on strong stalks each day,
Gently floating above the fans and the fray.
May you too reach toward the moon and stars,
Bloom after bloom, many seasons in the sun,
Enjoying your life, health, and each loved one,
Until your 'living days are artfully done.

~ Georgia Gudykunst



10 comments:

Kathy said...

I too have antique irises growing in my yard. They were given to me by my next-door neighbor who got it from the parents of an older friend of mine. I have leaves up, but no buds or flowers yet. Aren't irises just lovely? I look forward to their blooms each year.

Patsy said...

My favorite flower of spring.

Country Gal said...

Very pretty ! Our Irises bloom at the end of May . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...


How wonderful and beautiful your Iris are, and their story makes them even more so! We have iris growing along our property that were planted by the previous owner. I wonder what their story is.

PS: I hope that you are doing well - I've been missing your posts, I've got to pay better attention!! :-)

Deanna said...

Dear One, I LOVE IRISES!!! But I live in Kansas. I have to say that they are my favorite even before roses. Ours are starting to bloom and I cannot be happier. I wait all year for their beautiful blooms to show off such glory.
Blessings to you,
d

Stella Jones said...

I always look forward to seeing your irises Jo. They do so well in your garden, don't they. Such stately flowers are well chosen as the State cultivated flowers for Tennessee, which is so lovely at this time of year.

Doc said...

They are quite stunning and the fragrance intense. Mine are still tightly closed up

Janneke said...

Here it is still a bit too early for most blooming Irises, I have one old one flowering at this moment, given by a friend. I love them. Can imagine you cherish this old one, it is a beauty!

Winifred said...

They are beautiful irises. Such gorgeous shades.

L. D. said...

It is a favorite of the colors of the variety. I do have some buds on my iris.