Thursday, November 12, 2015

Three Teas, Please Ivy....

Almost every evening before turning in for the night, my husband and I watch Last of the Summer Wine, on Public Broadcasting Service television.

Last of the Summer Wine is a gentle, romantic comedy, which graced the British TV screens for  almost forty years. It was an inspired choice of location, for the charm of the region perfectly matches the warmth and humour of the characters, capturing the idyll of lazy summer days and the sort of amusement belonging to a long forgotten golden age.




The beautiful Holme Valley stretches down from the high Pennines along the River Holme towards Huddersfield, in West Yorkshire. Holmfirth is the main town, it offers visitors a delightful mixture of weavers cottages, Victorian hillside terraces with "top and bottom" houses, a rushing river and mills, all surrounded by breathtaking Pennine scenery.




During my trip home last month, my dearest brother treated us to a lovely day out over the Yorkshire Pennines, and a ramble around Holmfirth. We took the tour bus, and stopped at the various locations around the town, all so familiar after seeing them night after night on our television screen.




 
 




After the tour, we stopped at Sid's Cafe, and enjoyed tea and and buns, just as the characters did in the series.
"Three teas, please Ivy".

 
 

 
If you're interested in reading about the series, I've included this link.
 
 
 
 
 

13 comments:

Jayne said...

I've never been to that area of England, but the scenery looks wonderful. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Gerry Snape said...

...how could we have missed you!!! so sorry...glad you had fun!

DJan said...

That series looks interesting, but the pictures you took and the scenery are simply stunning. Thanks for the link; I'll check it out. :-)

Betsy Brock said...

Sounds like a lovely way to end the day! And thanks for taking us along on that little trip...charming! I love those stairs, worn from decades of stepping!

rusty duck said...

Marvellous. On a business trip up that way, many years ago, and with an hour to kill I had a wander round Holmfirth. So lovely to see all the main locations, looking exactly as they did on the TV series. Even Nora Batty's house!

Susie said...

Jo, I love the beauty of England's country sides. Plus the quaint towns are so charming. Blessings for a great weekend, xoxo,Susie

Tweedles -- that's me said...

The photos are so beautiful,,, and guess what?
My momma watches that show on tv too.,. Its one of her favorites.
Thank you for the link.
love
tweedles

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful post Jo. This is a part of England I never really explored and I can see I am going to have to go further north one of these days. I have always loved the photos from this part of the world, and heard stories from my dear old Yorkshire friend. I met her here in the US, she was in her 80s and I listened to her stories of her childhood and subsequent years, better than picking up a book or looking at a movie. However, I loved the episodes I saw on The Last of the Summer Wine, all actors I remember so well from British TV. Thank you for taking us along. That old bus looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

Lovely pictures, I hope you had a fabulous trip and enjoyed many cuppa's....

donna baker said...

Oh Jo, I loved that show as I do all of those British shows. My favorite is Keeping Up Appearances and I love the Vicar of Dibley. When the little chap on the left died and they all stood out on the hillside to spell goodbye, it was so sad. You must have really enjoyed going home however sad affair.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

I remember watching Last of the Summer Wines on PBS. I didn't know it was still on tv. Will have to check it again. I'm quite fond of British shows since I lived in England while serving with the USAF there. I'm visiting from Kathy's blog..Looking at life through my Bifocals. Saw your post on sidebar of her blog just minutes ago. Wanted to pop over for a visit. Take care!
Yes, I'm just finishing up my cup of tea before I head off to bed. Good night!

Henny Penny said...

Oh how beautiful! I dream dream dream of going to England. I'm a little late commenting. :)

Bernideen Canfield said...

I enjoyed my visit reading through your posts!