*

*

Monday, May 11, 2015

Nature's Living Lanterns

We seem to have left Spring behind, and moved right into Summer.
Hot days in the eighties and nineties, and no rain for going on three weeks.
Not the most ideal conditions for those early Spring gardens.
 
 


We sat on the porch after dark discussing the extreme weather the entire country is experiencing. Snow, floods, tornadoes, droughts, my heart goes out to the folks affected by these disasters.

As we pondered the answers I noticed a tiny twinkling light nestled in the tree line, and then another, and several more......
The Lightning Bugs have returned !
.
Most people know about Lightning Bugs, cute little flying beetles with bottoms that light up at dusk to facilitate one task all life forms are driven to accomplish – reproduction.
In Middle Tennessee, our Lightning Bugs come out once the sun is well below the horizon and produce a bright yellow green light that blinks on and off in the gathering night.
In the coming few weeks the darkness of the woods will be lit by the twinkling lights and mating rituals of the Lightning Bugs, or Fireflies as known to non-Southerners, meeting and creating beautiful luminescence together.

Close your eyes and think back to the long hot summers of childhood.
Playing outside until late in the evening, sitting on the front porch eating ice-cold watermelon slices, listening to the crickets chirp, and the tree frogs sing.
Remember catching Lightning Bugs and keeping them in a Mason jar ?
They glowed beside you all night long sitting on your night table....
Innocence and childhood going hand in hand.

The magic has returned....

8 comments:

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Happy Days! Their back!
What beautiful photos!
love
tweedles

Nellie said...

Oh, I remember the days of my childhood when I went after those lightning bugs! It is difficult to see them here where we live now. We don't have many trees for them to hide away. There is a time in the Smokies that tickets are issued for gazing upon the illumination brought about by the blinking of those little lights. I fear the use of pesticides have affected them around here.:( We use nothing on our property. Yes, it seems like summer is with us for sure. We were just wondering today about that cold snap called "blackberry winter.":-)

Janice Kay Schaub said...

When we lived out in the country I loved to see the lightening bugs. We never see them in town. I miss that, it's so magical, like fairy folk flitting hither and yon
Janice

Betsy Brock said...

They remind me of being a kid again....dirty feet, dusk that relieves you from the summer heat, jars to hold our captures, and lots of running and giggling as we chase them! haha....

Ours don't show up until June. I still think it's magical!

Patsy said...

I saw a lighting bug last night!!
The Two Old Goat Soap and lotion
smell, makes you feel like it helps you. Hope you didn't get that hard rain we got this morning. It destroyed my peonies.

DJan said...

I've never lived anywhere that has those little bugs, but I love, just love that picture! Such magical little creatures. :-)

L. D. said...

Oh wow, we won't see those until middle summer. Your shot makes them look like magic lanterns.

Henny Penny said...

Catching lightening bugs in a mason jar is one of my favorite childhood memories. I haven't seen one yet, this spring.