********

********

Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Joy Of Simple Days



Yesterday I ran into an old friend, we once worked together in the veterinary field, and seems like once or twice a year our paths cross.
We shared what is currently happening in our busy lives, asked how all the kin folk are keeping, and laughed about our escapades when we spent our younger days working side by side.

When we said our goodbye's I continued with my errands,  and returned home to be greeted on the porch by the meows of Oliver the cat, closely followed by Tom kitten.
What a great day !

It seems to me the older I get, terrific days are not composed of winning the lottery, a promotion, the expectations of a getaway vacation.
Instead, I've started to find happiness in the normal things of life: the love of my family, the luxury of pottering about the garden, the escapades of Oliver the Cat and Tom, a mammogram that is normal, sleeping late on a rainy day, an impromptu visit from a grandchild, a beautiful sunset or a full moon on a starlit night.
Simple Days.
                                                                 
            
  "As the years pass, I am coming more and more to understand that it is the common, everyday blessings of our common everyday lives for which we should be particularly grateful."

~ Laura Ingalls Wilder

11 comments:

Henny Penny said...

I feel so much the same way but could never have written it as beautifully as you have.

Denise at Forest Manor said...

Beautifully said Jo -- thanks for sharing! :)

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Hugs,

Denise

Patsy said...

As I have aged and studied more on God's word. I can say I finely feel the same way. Great post

donna baker said...

I am so glad you are happy and contented Jo. That is the way life should be lived.

Deb said...

Oh, I like this and agree totally. Hugs

Janneke said...

I totally agree with your nice words, for me the simple days are the best, just pottering in the garden with Snarf, my furry friend.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely - thank you for putting it so eloquently.
When I was at work, I wanted more time to travel and follow my hobbies.
Now I'm retired, I am quite happy to be at home and find pleasure in all the domestic minutiae of life.
Friends can't understand why I don't want to go on a cruise .... What! and miss everything that's happening at home? No way.

Tasha T

Country Gal said...

Amen to all that . Nothing like the simplicity of the things we took for granted when younger ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

Kimberly said...

Beautifully written, Jo! I'm with you, just the simple things in
life.

((((hugs))))
Kim

DJan said...

This is so true! I loved your description of your simple and elegant day. :-)

Nellie said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you for reminding us to be appreciative of the ordinary.