************

************

Monday, August 11, 2014

A Brief Encounter

What seems like forever in the making, the Heavenly Blue Morning Glories are finally in bloom.
They'll share their flowers until the first frost.
A life so brief, yet so full of beauty.
  
 

 





THE MORNING-GLORY

Was it worth while to paint so fair
Thy every leaf - to vein with faultless art
Each petal, taking the boon light and air
Of summer so to heart?

To bring thy beauty unto perfect flower,
Then, like a passing fragrance or a smile,
Vanish away, beyond recovery's power -
Was it, frail bloom, worth while?

Thy silence answers: "Life was mine!
And I, who pass without regret or grief,
Have cared the more to make my moment fine,
Because it was so brief.

"In its first radiance I have seen
The sun! - why tarry then till comes the night?
I go my way, content that I have been
Part of the morning light!"



~ Florence Earl Coates ( 1850-1927 )


12 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Your morning glories are a sight to behold Jo, and I always love the poetry. Happy day to you :)

Patsy said...

Beautiful color, do you have to plant them every year?
I do mine, this year I did not think they would bloom, forgot it would be Aug.

vic said...

That heavenly blue variety is just well........ heavenly.

When I was in High School my Dad often took me to school in the morning. We purposely went by a house that had the entire end side of their porch covered in heavenly blue morning glories. What a way to start the day!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Patsy, I plant these from seeds every spring, they are the annual variety.
~Jo

Kathy said...

Lovely poem. I have morning glories in my yard and just love them.

Nellie said...

Very beautiful, Jo! They make the most of the short time they are here.

Terry said...

They are absolutely gorgeous. That color is stunning.

Country Gal said...

Lovely morning glories . I had them a few years ago and am thinking of getting more for next year with a new garden set up ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

L. D. said...

Your morning glories are glorious every year to see. My pink ones are putting out so few blooms. I think I will change the location next year.

The Furry Gnome said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Linda Kay said...

So interesting for the beautiful flower to have it's own poem. Thanks for sharing this!

Henny Penny said...

They were so worth the wait. Oh I wish I had planted the pack of seeds I bought. Something to look forward to next year maybe.