************

************

Monday, July 28, 2014

Hardy Blooms

Each year despite the lack of rain for days on end, we are graced with prolific blooms on the Rose of Sharon  (Hibiscus syriacus )  bushes.

This particular bush was a volunteer, a single seed or two carried by the wind or possibly a bird.
It is also a second generation plant, the original bush belonging to my husband's mother who shared it's propagated beauty from her garden to ours.

Oftentimes they are considered an invasive plant, since they tend to spread so easily, but we enjoy their endless blooms, and tend to agree with the A.A. Milne quote.....
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”    




 
 

9 comments:

Star said...

I love the rose of sharon and have grown it for years for even over here it grows easily. I don't have one at the moment though. Some weeds are so pretty, it really is hard to take them out. I wouldn't put the rose of sharon in that category though.

Doc said...

My Botany Professor in collage told us that the word weed describes anything growing in the wrong spot...that includes trees.

L. D. said...

It is a beautiful bloom. The weather is too cold for some of those varieties up here. I did finally lose my dinner plate hibiscus. I would like to replace it with a rose of Sharon.

Patsy said...

I have the same one and have two baby plants started. They are an old favorite.

Terry said...

Way too pretty to be a weed!

cheshire wife said...

I was expecting something totally different. In the UK we call hypericum, Rose of Sharon and it really is a weed. The flower in the photograph we call a hibiscus and we do not consider it to be a weed.

Winifred said...

Looks good to me! Definitely not a weed.

DeniseinVA said...

I even love its name, such a pretty bloom.

DJan said...

It's very beautiful. Weed? I don't think so. :-)