************

************

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

First, Find A Shepherd

Another blast of Arctic weather came calling across middle Tennessee, with ice storms, and snow, school once again cancelled, and driving conditions deemed treacherous.
This winter has turned into one of the coldest on record.


 
 

Day's such as these call for stick-to-your-ribs kind of meals. Meat and potatoes comfort food.
One of my favorite English dishes is just that, Shepherd's Pie, a working man's staple.

A concoction of ground beef, onions, carrots, and peas cooked in a beef gravy and tomato sauce, with herbs and spices; then topped off with mashed potatoes and browned in the oven until the potatoes are nice and crusty.

I buy the Colman Shepherd's Pie mix, available through Publix grocery stores, on the English import isle.
If it's not on hand, then the gravy part is made with oxo's or beef bouillon cubes and tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and parsley.

 
Shepherd's Pie was the first meal I cooked for The First Sergeant as a newly wed , it remains one of his favorites to this day.

 
Serve with a slice of pickled beetroot or a few pickled onions on the side, and a nice crusty loaf of bread.
Sit fireside to enjoy.


15 comments:

Willow said...

Shepard's pie has been one of my favorites since I was a little girl. I am going to get the packet you suggested for a change of pace . Of course now I want to have some this week !

Merlesworld said...

It is a good winter dish, filling and warm.
Merle...........

John Gray said...

Jo,
If it helps
We have had the wettest winter in Wales since records began x

Nancy's Notes said...

It's cold outside and I'd love to just sit by the fire and enjoy what you are having for dinner! Love shepherd's pie! We will have to make it another time, so sorry! I can smell it from here, smells scrumptious!
Enjoy your evening~
Nancy

Patsy said...

Something to warm the heart and tummy, will this end soon I sure hope. We got 4ins of ice with a little snow on top.

Country Gal said...

I was always told by my British parents Shepherds pie was made with Lamb and Cottage pie was with beef ! They even said that in Corrie lol Either way I love them both lol ! Oh winter just keeps hanging on doesn't it ? hope spring can push it away for good soon ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

Pat said...

Dear you lost at on the beetroot. LOL! We got snow and ice yesterday but it gone today. I'm glad and so ready for warmer days. Love, Pat

Janice Kay Schaub said...

I LOVE that Shepherds pie mix. I found that in the British import section of my local store. I tried it and liked it so I bought more. Great stuff.
Janice

Steven Cain said...

Stupid snow... I take that back... stupid ice. Not that I minded so much being trapped, but I didn't have the fixin's for any swell vittles. Reckon I'm going to have to venture down that aisle at Publix.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Certainly like to try that Shepherd's Pie !

Kathy said...

I first had shepherd's pie when I was about 13 years old in a school lunch. I loved it then and still do. Although I always heard that shepherd's pie is lamb and cottage pie is beef, I call my beef mixture shepherd's pie. I have never seen the mix, I just make it on my own. I haven't done it in a long time. I think it's going to be on my menu this week.

DJan said...

This has been the longest winter! Lots of people are finding comfort food like yours. Me, too! :-)

Susie said...

Jo, I have never had this before...but it does look very tasty. Hope you are warm. We are having a snow right now...it is not to last and the temps will climb this weekend...so Spring is very near. xoxo, Susie

LesleyAnn said...

This West Virginian has never had Shepherd's Pie but it looks so good, I'm going to order the ingredients and bake one! It looks delicious! Thank you for the introduction to it.

Your bird photos are lovely.

Star said...

That's a favourite in our household too. I'm at a loss when summer comes because ours is so short, I don't stretch to salads!