*

*

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Say Cheese



My home county of Cheshire, England is known for being the birthplace of famous author Lewis Carroll, of Alice in Wonderland fame.
It also holds the bragging rights to making some of the best cheese in the land, Cheshire Cheese.
The making of the cheese dates back to the early 16th century, and is considered the oldest in Great Britain.

Cheese was mostly stored in a cheese-keeper, as refrigerators were uncommon.
My grandmother's cheese-dish sat on her kitchen table, always with a nice piece of Cheshire cheese beneath, and a jar of pickled onions close by.

I fell in love and purchased this Royal Winton cheese-dish some thirty years ago, at an antique sale in Cheshire.
It's from the 'Country Diary Collection' and the delicate display of flowers reminds me of my grandmothers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_cheese

11 comments:

Mel said...

I love this bit of history. I also love how things like this can help us to carry memories with us; beautiful.

DeniseinVA said...

A lovely cheese dish Jo, could just go for a slice right now, with a pickled onion ;)

DJan said...

It sounds delicious, I'd love to try that cheese. And the dish is so pretty. I've never seen a cheese dish before, I don't think. :-)

Nellie said...

I love Cheshire cheese! The cheese dish is lovely! What a good idea!

Marilyn said...

Nice piece with lots of memories and very pretty, too. But, may I say the reason there were no refrigerators back then, is that the house was as cold as one. Of course, I've only visited GB once (in February) and that was my impression of the temperature inside and outside the house! I'm from dry Colorado and the humidity with the cold on that visit has permanently made me tolerate our frigid winters ever so much better! And I could pack tonight and return again tomorrow as I loved that visit.♥♫

donna baker said...

What did it taste like Jo? Was it a cheddar?

Janneke said...

Lovely memories. I bought the same kind of cheese dish last winter on an antique fair with forget-me-nots on it.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Marilyn: back in olden days, most people didn't have central heating, even my own family didn't.
We had one fireplace that heated the house, and oftentimes if you were not in the same room as the fireplace, the rest of the house was cold.
Nowadays most people have central heating, but still no air conditioning, since it wasn't really needed, but in the last fifteen years or more, the weather in summertime seems to be a lot hotter than the seventy degrees, I remember as a child.
~Jo

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Donna: here's a link it tells all about the cheese.
~Jo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_cheese

Bluebell Woods said...

I am looking for one of those and a butter dish..........I will be looking at garage sales and thrift stores. Yours is beautiful and even better when it has memories attached
Janice

L. D. said...

A local cheese expert said to never store cheese in plastic. He had a cafe and all things were stored in paper. I had never heard of that before nor have I seen he pretty kind of dish before now.