*

*

Monday, March 15, 2010

Daffodils


I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

~William Wordsworth 1804

13 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful daffodils..you must have spring! I also have to view them on my inward eye:)

DJan said...

I have read that poem before and love that line about wandering "lonely as a cloud" -- and I see that your daffodils are out! How gorgeous they are.

Carolina Mountains said...

Ours are not quite up but close!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Jo, Love Wordsworth's poem.... GREAT!!!! I also love your Daffodil picture.... I cannot wait 'til they bloom up here. Right now, we only have a couple of Crocuses which have started to bloom....I'll have to wait!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

The Prodigal Tourist said...

Just what I wanted to see and read on a rainy day. Thanks darling!

Kay said...

Pretty. Mine have been blooming for about 2 weeks now.

~Kim~ said...

This is another one of my favorite poems, and the picture is a nice touch of spring when we've had nothing but clouds here in Virginia!!

L. D. Burgus said...

I was required to memorize this poem my senior year in High School. As a kid I thought it was a stupid thing, but now I really appreciate the poem. I have daffodils that are about one fourth of an inch sticking up. I am excited. Life after winter.

Sandra said...

love the daffodils of spring and the poem.

Denise said...

Beautiful! Lovely picture and one of my all time favorite poems. Thanks Jo!

The Norwegian said...

I'm not sure it gets better than browsing your blog to find Wordsworth quoted! Greatly appreciate it. Your attention to worthy literature is heartwarming.

The Norwegian said...

I'm not sure it gets better than browsing your blog to find Wordsworth quoted! Greatly appreciate it. Your attention to worthy literature is heartwarming.

Mmm said...

My fave flower